1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stock Device Care unreliable.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by taiowa, Mar 29, 2020.

1. taiowa

taiowa Newbie

I don't understand why my androids 'Device Care' won't thoroughly clear ALL my applications cache at once? I'm always having to go back into my apps SETTINGS and finish clearing a massive amount of cache left behind or never cleared at all. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Although it's said that third-party apps do no good, I can completely understand why we keep downloading them.

MrJavi and puppykickr like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

There is no device care option in stock Android. It must be some sort of optimizing utility installed by the carrier or manufacturer. What kind of phone do you have? As far as their reliability, they are dubious at best. If you find yourself needing to clear out your caches frequently because you are low on space, frankly it's time for a new phone.

MrJavi, MoodyBlues, Dannydet and 2 others like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Massive amounts in your app caches? I might help to if you provided some actual numbers. Odds are much more likely as a percentage of your overall storage space capacity it's not that significant.
    In any case though, continuously clearing app caches isn't actually helping your device run better. Each app needs its cache to function so by frequently deleting them, whenever you use that app again it has to rebuild its cache anyway.
    Dump the app caches when there's a specific reason to do so. Don't micromanage your phone so much, it will run more efficiently that way.

MrJavi, MoodyBlues, Dannydet and 3 others like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Never seen that on an Android device before. It could be a feature the manufacturer has added to the particular phone or tablet you've got there. So called cleaning apps can often be detrimental to Android performance anyway,

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Total cache clearing was done away with in Android 8+.
    Yes, it is a PITA to manually clear them.

Goto :
    Settings
    Storage
    Phone

Here you can see what exactly is using space.
    When you select a category, the items are listed by the size of their cache.

Not perfect, but much easier than going through each app one by one.
    This way, you can clear out just the biggest space hogs.

I really wish that they would have a 'no cache' setting available on low space devices.

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  7. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Like the other folks, I've never heard of any such creature! What device do you have? Was 'Device Care' pre-installed on it?
    Why are you doing that? :thinking:
    It makes no sense because you shouldn't be doing it. :)
    No, "we" definitely don't keep downloading--or using--them. At best, they're unnecessary; at worst, they're harmful.

If you're continually needing to clear cache, as in being short on space, using silly 'cleaners' is not the solution. Nor is clearing all your apps' caches manually. The solution depends on the actual problem.

If you're short on space, are there any apps you can live without? Maybe old things you don't really use any more? Or apps, such as credit card or banking apps, that actually aren't necessary, because you can use a browser to access their sites and do whatever you need to do.

What about files you don't need to keep on your device? Photos, documents, whatever--if you can move them to a computer, thumb drive, or cloud drive, that should free up a lot of space.

If none of that solves the problem...I'm guessing it's time for a new device! Android's excellent, built-in method of managing space and memory simply does not lead to the kind of continual housecleaning you're describing. Therefore, I'm guessing that you're either on an older device with limited storage, or you have a lot of stuff on it that you don't need to keep on it.

MrJavi, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  8. puppykickr

I find it hard to believe that a new device would solve the.problem.
    My experience has been that the apps that accumulate caches do so relentlessly and continuously until the phone ceases to function.

I have dwindled my cleaning to once a week or so.

But I have found that the more space I leave on a device, the more space the caches will take.

They grow and grow and grow.
    They never go away unless I clear them.

And here's the thing- I have never had it happen that the app needed all that crap anyway.
    If anything the device and the apps work faster and better.

I really believe that caches are totally worthless.

The vast majority of things that I have found in caches is junk that is better off reloaded anyway.
    This is due to the stuff being outdated so soon and yet the old crap is never eliminated (without action on my part).

Why on earth should an app of less than 100MB need 200-300+MB of trash in its cache?
    Some apps are worse than that.

It seems like if I had a phone with more memory capacity, that it would all eventually get plugged up with useless nonsense from caches.
    Sure, if there was 100GB of internal storage it would take more time to fill it up.
    But I still cannot see the benefit of each app packing on MB after MB of junk.
    It seems obvious that whatever is there is not really needed- especially when a noticable improvement in device and app performance occurs upon deletion.
    Whatever 'benefit' a cache has is easily overridden by this fact alone.

Of course, on a large memory device the effects of gigantic caches will be less, but the vast majority of devices in operation around the world are not such high end devices and the effects of cache clearing are much easier to validate.

This being said, the vast majority of cleaning apps are complete poop.
    There are only two that I like, and one that I use.

The rest that I have seen really do more harm than good.

It used to be pretty simple.
    Find one with no ads.
    Then find one with no ads that doesn't run in the background.
    Finally, a cleaner app does not need internet access.

If you find one like that, the odds are in favor of it not doing any harm and only clearing out a bunch of wasted space.

Of course, since Android 6, it has become more difficult for apps to clear the caches of other apps.
    With 8 and above there is no built in cache clear either, so on those it must be done by hand- app by app.
    On 7 and 8 a cleaner app can only clean part of the caches on the device.
    But I generally find that the app I use does clean enough to get results.
    I only use the built in cache clear when I really need to, like when the total device cache has reached about ¾ GB or so of crap my cleaner can't get to.

#8 puppykickr, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    MrJavi likes this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Not on my phone (android 10). They seem to be sorted by app+data size excluding cache (with "sort by name" being the only other option). Though it's kinda weird, since if you view an app and then return to the list it sometimes changes the size (but never to cache alone, or the total of app+data+cache) and then sometimes changes back.

I think Google don't want people to think about caches...

10. puppykickr

I agree.
    I notice the varying sizes on apps as well, althouth after a few moments they do tend to straighten out.

I find it interesting that Google makes it more and more difficult to clear caches, yet on their PlayStore there are literally hundreds of 'cleaning' apps.

It is a big red flag for me as far as trusting Google.
    Even more telling is the amout of 'cleaning' apps that do no good at all and only serve as adware platforms.

I was sad to see that the latest version of the cleaning app that I use has ads (an ad-free option is available for purchase).
    It does state that it is updated to comply with the lastest versions of Android.

I do not have a modern device- I am still using 7.1.1 and 8.1.0 - so I cannot verify if it works as well or better (or not at all) on newer devices.

But the fact that 10 is as you describe is disheartening at the least.

Truely, the best solution would be for each app to have a user setting that would allow for the app to clear its cache as it is closed.

That way the people that seem to love carrying around caches full of who knows what can be happy, as well as the people that have devices which are strapped for memory.

This would also put a serious dent in the 'cleaning app' market, as it would render them totally useless.

MrJavi likes this.
  11. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

In a decade of using Android, I have never seen this happen.
    Guess how often I 'clean' my devices... :thinking: ...yep, NEVER! Never, ever. Never have, never do now, can't fathom needing to do it in the future.

Oh, sure, every once in awhile I'll clear a specific app's cache, but that's always for a specific reason. Take Chrome for example: left to its own devices, it does a fine job of managing its cache. I don't remember when I last cleared its cache manually, but I'm sure it's been at least two months. With heavy, daily use [always at least 10 tabs open, lots of image viewing plus the odd video], here's how it looks right now:

Screenshot_20200403-132948.png

My phone runs great! Just as fast as the day I bought it.

I think there may be a general misunderstanding going on here of what cache is, how it works, why it's necessary, etc. I don't really feel like writing an essay on cache right now, so I'll let Google [or your favorite search engine] be your friend. :)

MrJavi likes this.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

From my own experience it depends on how well behaved the particular app is, like how well it can handle its own caches,

For example WeChat used to be terrible at one time. A friend asked me to look at their Samsung S6 once, because it was lagging badly and virtually unusable, and what it was WeChat had accumulated over 10GB stuff, which pretty much filled the phone's internal storage, once cleared the phone behaved normally. I don't use it myself, but I've seen reported many times on AF that Facebook is notoriously bad for junk. There are some apps that just can't do their own garbage collection, and have to be micro-managed I suppose.

Caches can be useful, all depending on what the app actually is, like storing content locally instead of having to download every-time it needs it, e.g. web browser and favourite sites.

MrJavi likes this.
  13. puppykickr

I guess anything is possible.
    But I have no problems with my browser having an empty cache. It is the fastest browser I have seen, and it works on even the lowest powered devices.
    As for all my other apps, they all seem to function faster when the caches have been emptied.

Often, as I am sure you are aware, the caches of PlayStore and Google Servces must be cleared just for them to function properly when downloading apps.

The only apps I have that seem to manage the cache well are the ones that never put anything into it or very little.

The frustration I feel about it is that I have only experienced good when caches are empty, and only bad when caches are full.

And now it is becoming more and more difficult to clean the caches with each new OS.
    It seems to me that the caches are more for planned obsolesence rather than data savings or app speed.

MrJavi likes this.
  14. puppykickr

Chrome is a total pig.
    First, it s slow as molasses in Alaska.
    Second, there is the whole Google, security, personal info thing (is it even kosher to put those three items together in one sentence?)

I don't clean my browser cache, because it clears it each time I close the app.

I often have 15-20 open tabs, and watch endless videos and download 'everything'.
    And there is a buit in ad-blocker that is customizeable.
    Unlimited bookmarks.
    All that, and mentally ergonomic as well.

Screenshot_2020-04-05_02-11-06.png

MrJavi likes this.
  15. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I have to admit that I never have problems that require cache clearing. My current device isn't short of space anyway, but my previous phone and my tablet have much less and yet I still never had to, for example, clear Play Store or Play Services caches to make them function. So I don't know why my experience is so different.

(I can't comment on Chrome as I don't use it on any platform).