1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Stock Email App - Unread Count

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nick The Great, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member

So I have never liked the Gmail app and just use the stock email app for 2 Gmail accounts, and 1 exchange account (or whatever it's called on this phone).

But I was traveling this week and noticed I had 100+ unread messages all of the sudden. I went through and marked them all as unread. Not a few minutes later and they were all unread. I discovered that it pretty much went back to the day I got this phone. I marked as unread again . . . same result.

SO, I come home yesterday, and got off the plane, and noticed my unread count was 6 or whatever it should have been. :thinking:

I was in a different state and time zone, but why would that affect anything? Strange to say the least

Advertisement

2. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast

Did you Refresh after checking them "read" by any chance ?
    If I'm not wrong, the count of unread mails will be only set to read on your phone till you sync the accounts. If you don't, it will give the same count again,
    upon next, schedule sync.
    You should SYNC or REFRESH after you check them "read". Same apply to deleting e-mails. I would delete it on my phone, and it would still be on the server. Once Synced, it will update the server account accordingly.

3. Nick The Great

I actually did press the sync button, I believe.

It seems weird that it is okay now back in my time zone. I wonder if the turning off and back on of the phone did anything?

4. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast

It shouldn't be related to time zone, maybe just some sync glitch. I will look into out of curiosity.

By the way, you should give Gmail app another chance. The app was update quite a few times and it has some really nice features.

5. Nick The Great

Yeah the time zone doesn't make any *sense* but nothing does about this.

I want to like the Gmail App. But I like the Combined Inbox of the stock app. And really like the sort by unread option. I know I can search for is:unread or whatever, but that is a workaround, and a poor one at that. :)

6. speedlever

speedlever Android Enthusiast

Since this is a gmail app thread, let me ask this question. I have a couple of gmail email accounts. My gmail app does not display unread message counts. Is that because I have multiple gmail accounts or does gmail not provide that info or have I overlooked where to enable that feature?