• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock HBOOT vs CM7 HBOOT?

b3y0nd

Lurker
Feb 27, 2010
Hey guys, was wondering what the different was between the two... I've always downloaded Stock HBOOT but dont understand the difference, could someone please explain?

For example, for RCMixS roms, it has the roms listed as
RCMixS_v2.0_A2SD+_BravoHboot.zip
RCMixS_v2.0_A2SD_CM7Hboot.zip
RCMixS_v2.0_DT-A2SD+_BravoHboot.zip

Thanks

Are you S-Off? If not, you are using the stock hboot. In fact, if you don't know then you are using stock.

What this is about: some of us use modified hboots (or other methods) to change the internal memory partitions. Generally this means shrinking the system space, where the ROM lives, to allow more data space, where user apps and app data live. CM7 hboot is a common example of this, designed to fit the original CM7 ROMs (current CM7 is bigger, and no longer fits the original CM7 table).

That's fine if your ROM is small enough to fit the smaller system space. But NO Sense ROM is that small. So when you see a "CM7" version of a Sense ROM this means that part of the ROM has been moved to the sd-ext partition. This means you can have more "internal memory", but need a bigger ext partition on the card.

If you have the stock setup there is no advantage at all in using the CM7 version. At best you will have less a2sd space for no gain, at worst you may have a lot less free space, or it may not work at all, depending on the size of your ext partition and what other differences there are (i.e. if the CM7 version leaves stuff in internal memory that the stock one would move, because it assumes you have a bigger data partition).

Reactions: mollymalone
Upvote 0
Unless you have explicitly flashed the CM7 hboot, which you can get from alpharev.nl, you have stock partitions (even after revolutionary). Do make sure you understand the procedure first, as it's not the same as flashing a rom from recovery - see the root memory faq.

The only difference is that the system and cache partitions will be smaller and the data one larger.

Whether it will help to use the other version will depend on why it is lagging.

Reactions: jms2367
Upvote 0
My phone is revolutionary S-Off with Hboot 6.93.1002. Is this already the CM7 Hboot? I have tried flashing several ROMS using the version for stock Hboot and it all seems to be quite laggy. I don't know if I should be using the ROMs designed for CM7 Hboots instead. Regards

What does it say when you go to the BOOTLOADER, copy it exactly here.

I only say this because I recently changed my HBOOT to CM7 r2, and the HBOOT is 6.93.1002 .
If you have a custom HBOOT, it should show AlphaRev CM7 r2 or something like that at the top of the screen.

But like Hadron said, if you didnt flash the CM7 HBOOT, it shouldn't be there, but in case you inadvertently did, just an FYI.

If you do have the CM Hboot, use those roms instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones