• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock HTC Aria from AT&T

kliebor

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
I have a question, I am uncomfortable rooting a phone so I am curious, before I shell out to buy the Aria which I love the look of, how much of its 384 MB of ram is eaten up by AT&Ts undeletable junk apps?

And if anyone can give me an idea what that means to installing new apps?

Can you tell I have never had a smartphone before :) Good... that is about the level we are talking here.

My fear is I will find I want to add some apps and the rather small sounding 384 MB of RAM will be eaten up in no time and I will be forced to not enjoy the Apps I really want due to a lack of available memory.

I was at first not worried, I intended to buy a 16 GB SDHC card, but I read on AT&Ts site that apps can only run off of the phone's internal memory and that has me nervous.

Can anyone help me with some insight before I buy?

Thank You,

Dave

The apps I've downloaded are typically between 800kb-2mb a piece. Occasionally you'll get one up around 5, but as long as you're not planning on going app crazy, you should be fine. If you do go over, just go through your apps and get rid of the ones you don't use (trust me, there will be some).

As for the ATT apps, they do take some space, but they don't hog up all of it. Most of them are just gateways to services.

BTW, when the Aria gets Froyo, you will be able to move apps to the SD card. It should get the update sometime in October.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones