• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock Messaging Questions.

rick311

Android Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2010
Handcent NEVER worked on my phone and ive been having troubles with chomp lately so i went back to stock. The things that bug me about the stock one are:

- When i receive a picture message, its displayed in a slideshow and only have 5 seconds to view it before it disappears.

HOW DO I DISABLE THAT OR ADD MORE TIME TO VIEW IT?!

- I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to save a picture i receive,

HOW DO I SAVE THE PHOTOS?!

i would love to go back to chomp, but whenever i get a picture message, it makes the stock message service crash and i dont get texts after unless i restart my phone. Whats the deal!?

thanks in advance for the help!

There's no option to change the amount of time a picture is displayed. just tested with the stock messaging app. It will display the picture for about 5 seconds after i tap on it to view it. It's because the phone displays pictures sent through MMS as a slideshow, even though it's a single picture.
that is the worst idea ever. now i know why i never use the stock messaging app. also, the keyboard lags like crazy on it. if i use a different app, it doesnt lag at all.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Just got a picture message and I had to save it just to be able to view it because the slide show went way too fast. Even after editing the slide show speed for my regular pictures it still didn't change the slide show for the MMS.

I have an HTC Incredible, not that it makes too much of a difference though.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Just got a picture message and I had to save it just to be able to view it because the slide show went way too fast. Even after editing the slide show speed for my regular pictures it still didn't change the slide show for the MMS.

I have an HTC Incredible, not that it makes too much of a difference though.
i read that if you go into the camera settings, under slide show and set the time to show to a higher time then it would work, but it didnt work for me.

Upvote 0
I use Handcent because of those odd little quirks like that in the stock messaging app. You mentioned that Handcent never worked on your phone?
yea, when i first tried handcent it wouldnt vibrate in vibrate mode. my phone is in vibe mode 90% of the day. so i installed chomp and didnt have any problems for a while. i reinstalled handcent for sh!ts n giggles and i wouldnt receive any mms messages, went back to chomp. got this most recent OTA update and chomp started bugging out on me. i uninstalled it and went to stock, HATE it and tried handcent once more, but with sms popup. it's working fine (knock on wood) and i think i might just have to stick with it.

Upvote 0
yea, when i first tried handcent it wouldnt vibrate in vibrate mode. my phone is in vibe mode 90% of the day. so i installed chomp and didnt have any problems for a while. i reinstalled handcent for sh!ts n giggles and i wouldnt receive any mms messages, went back to chomp. got this most recent OTA update and chomp started bugging out on me. i uninstalled it and went to stock, HATE it and tried handcent once more, but with sms popup. it's working fine (knock on wood) and i think i might just have to stick with it.

Glad it is finally working for you. I haven't had any issues with it at all and I have been very happy with it. I couldn't stand the stock one..

Upvote 0
Glad it is finally working for you. I haven't had any issues with it at all and I have been very happy with it. I couldn't stand the stock one..
yea, the stock one is trash! i think it's an htc thing tho.

i prefer chomp over handcent, but handcent is the only one that is working correctly so ill stick with what works.

do you know how to change the ugly a$s icon it comes with? its big and nasty looking.

Upvote 0
- When i receive a picture message, its displayed in a slideshow and only have 5 seconds to view it before it disappears.

Please, please, please complain to HTC. This is new functionality as of the last maintenance update, and as you obviously noticed, it's quite a nuisance. (And, unfortunately, I'm not fond of Handcent or Chomp--they work fine, but I think the interface is ugly. Even with the few customizations options they have.)

I've submitted tickets with HTC support and got 3 different stories as to why it's happening--"it always did that even in 1.5," "yes, we added it in the maintenance update, it's working right, there's nothing to fix," and, "don't complain to us, Google did it in 2.1. We have no idea why your phone didn't act that way on 2.1, nothing for us to fix, complain to Google."

They refuse to acknowledge that it's a problem, and until more people tie up their support personnel with the problem, they likely won't address it.

Upvote 0
Please, please, please complain to HTC. This is new functionality as of the last maintenance update, and as you obviously noticed, it's quite a nuisance. (And, unfortunately, I'm not fond of Handcent or Chomp--they work fine, but I think the interface is ugly. Even with the few customizations options they have.)

I've submitted tickets with HTC support and got 3 different stories as to why it's happening--"it always did that even in 1.5," "yes, we added it in the maintenance update, it's working right, there's nothing to fix," and, "don't complain to us, Google did it in 2.1. We have no idea why your phone didn't act that way on 2.1, nothing for us to fix, complain to Google."

They refuse to acknowledge that it's a problem, and until more people tie up their support personnel with the problem, they likely won't address it.
Mine did it back in 1.5. So its obviously part of the HTC Sense messenger app and they added it on purpose. However, there is no point to it being a slideshow, if there is only a single image with no text.

Upvote 0
Mine did it back in 1.5. So its obviously part of the HTC Sense messenger app and they added it on purpose. However, there is no point to it being a slideshow, if there is only a single image with no text.

I've had two Erises--first one the vibrate died and Verizon replaced it--and it never treated pictures as slideshows until the MR4 update. (And judging by the fact that all the complaints about it on the Eris didn't start until MR4 was released, I find your statement quite unusual.) In fact I've even got a picture of my phone showing as much: http://www.admiraljoe.com/mmsbroken.jpg

Two pictures sent from the same person, one before MR4, one after.

Upvote 0
I've had two Erises--first one the vibrate died and Verizon replaced it--and it never treated pictures as slideshows until the MR4 update. (And judging by the fact that all the complaints about it on the Eris didn't start until MR4 was released, I find your statement quite unusual.) In fact I've even got a picture of my phone showing as much: http://www.admiraljoe.com/mmsbroken.jpg

Two pictures sent from the same person, one before MR4, one after.
Yeah. Mine would always change it to a slideshow if I added text to the same message as the picture message before the update. So I sent a picture without text with a normal message as a description. I always considered this to be normal behavior so that was my work-around. Did this both on my replacement and original Eris. However, I've noticed the workaround doesn't work anymore after the update. So I just use Handcent, themed it to look like the stock Android app and all is well.

Upvote 0
The issue with the Android messaging app and this 5 second image display this was new to me... It exists on the HTC G2 (2.2/Froyo)...

I called T-Mo support, and they stated that it is supposed to do that. WTF

What a garbage app the messaging client is on the new OS... apparently this is an Android OS thing.

Its actually an HTC thing. The HTC messaging app is almost nothing like the stock Android app. Apparently HTC fudged up the messaging app on several phones. Its not an Android problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones