1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stock NC vs. Kindle App (or other)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bgrutter, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bgrutter

bgrutter Android Enthusiast

I've been wondering about this for a while. I'm considering picking up a NC for my wife as an e-reader. However, I'm very interested in rooting it so that I can have some fun as well.

When in the store playing around with it, of course the display is different than the standard Nook, but the backlighting seemed very bright. This makes me wonder about a few things. So, I've come up with a few questions:

1. Do you lose any functionality with an app like Kindle as opposed to the stock e-reader app?
    2. Does the backlight drain the battery quickly?
    3. Does the backlight cause additional eye-strain that make it a little worse as a daily reader?
    4. Is there a setting to be toggled that enables/disables the backlight?
    5. How does it perform in daylight?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. bgrutter

Really? Nearly 30 thread views and no responses? Not complaining, as it's only been a little while, but still a little surprised. I thought this would be an easy one.

3. Jeanine

Jeanine Newbie

You can control the brightness. I like it brighter for daytime reading and dim for night reading. I do notice the battery draining faster when I turn the brightness up. I have not tested outside reading because it's very cold here in northern MI right now!

4. effinay

effinay Newbie

1- Can't answer that sine I have never used the Kindle app.
    2- You are supposed to get 8 hours out of the battery. It would make sence that a brighter backlight setting might drain the battery faster than a dim setting.
    3- The screen on the NC is a backlit LCD screen. If you experience eye strain while reading on your computer, it may be safe to assume the same result with the NC.
    4- you can set the brightness, but cannot disable the backlight. It's an LCD monitor.
    5- You can read it in daylight, but the screen has a lot of glare. Does not perform as well as an e-ink ereader in the sun.

I have both Nooks (Color and original) and they both have their own pros and cons.
    I love reading novels on the original nook. It's just like reading an ink-on-paper book. But I also like being able to read tech manuals. That's where the NC's color screen can come into play for me. Plus the fact that the NC (when rooted) is a pretty killer tablet.
    My wife uses the original nook since she doesn't care about all this techie stuff. She just wants to read books and the e-ink does not strain her eyes like the NC screen does.
    At night, I like being able to lay in bed and read my NC without needing a reading light.

IMO, if all you want to do is read books, get the original nook. If you want something more like a tablet, get the NC.

5. bgrutter

Thanks!

That's pretty much what I'd expected. I'd wondered if it employed a different technology than standard LCDs since the e-ink technology has been so popular. I picked up the NC tonight and called it a Valentine's Present for my wife. Though, I'm not sure who will actually get more use out of it, since we share a Laptop (been holding off on getting a second until after I get a Tablet - another story). So, I think this is right up my alley.

I suppose I'll start playing around now. Wish me luck :D