1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Stock or root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Matesims23, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Matesims23

Matesims23 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    I'm getting a nexus via trade and was wondering if stock is better than a rooted ics

Advertisement

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    really just depends. A lot of people are perfectly happy with stock. Some people prefer to root. Personally i would suggest rooting if anything just to put a better kernel on to improve battery life. Also a lot of the roms available are actually stock ICS with just a few mods to them.

3. Matesims23

None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    U can tell I'm a noob... I for sure want best battery life I can get

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I am stock because I prefer it :)

To get maximum battery life I have combined the extended battery with Juice Defender Plus. In Balanced mode, I can go all day with moderate to heavy use. Try the free version for awhile and see how it works out for you... if it's successful, then you'll want to spring for Plus.

trophynuts likes this.
  5. Matesims23

None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    How much is that 2100 battery or whatever? My buddy said they're free???

6. DannyJSlone

DannyJSlone Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 19, 2012
    I got the extended battery for $25.00 and it is great. Adds just enough extra juice and makes the phone feel a little more solid without adding much bulk at all. I rooted phone and my battery life is outstanding. On very light use when visiting family I used only 30% of battery in 7 hours. Now with the screen on it uses a lot more but after being rooted I could never go back. I use liquids rom and nova launcher and love it. It is basically stock ICS with more customization. Even if you don't root though you can still use nova launcher and it just enhances stock ICS.

7. moosc

moosc Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    truck
    north lincolnton
    Even rooted and romed I get about 5 hours if that on my extended 2100 battery. But I also use my phone I don't keep it on wifi in pocket or desk. It gets used. I'm not afraid to plug it in at 50% to charge it.

8. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    It doesn't have to be "Stock OR Root". It can be stock and rooted. That's how I run.

My advice, immediately unlock the bootloader. This prepares your phone should you ever want to root it. Unlocking completely wipes your phone, so you don't want to have it all setup nicely and 2 months later decide to root and have to start setting things up again.

Once you've unlocked, well you might as well root....its like 60 seconds extra and you're practically wasting time if you don't root. Also, you can always UNroot, re-LOCK and go back to factory stock should you ever need to.

Once you are rooted there are a number of features you can take advantage of without installing a custom ROM or kernel.

So, my suggestion is to immediately unlock and then root. Run stock rooted for a little while to see what you like / don't like.... and if its not perfect then see if there's a custom ROM that will give you exactly what you want.

moosc likes this.
  9. Matesims23

None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    Yeah the guy I traded with said he would root for me and install several roms

10. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, no offense to your "guy", but I wouldn't trust anyone to mod my phone for me. If I want to do it, I'll figure it out myself.

That being said, I'm stock and probably will never root. I use Nova Launcher for all my customizations and it works for me. I don't need to improve my battery life by 30-60 minutes because it's not, for me, in any way necessary ... what I have works without voiding my warranty ( yes, I'm aware I can return it to stock for the warranty, but why do it if I don't really need it. I can wait for the eventual updates to the OS. ). For some people, rooting is the only way to get satisfaction from the device ... why, I don't know but that's the way it is.

Do you want ultimate control and the latest "MOD" updates to the OS? Then you will want to root.

Can you live without flashing the latest non-OEM updates as soon as they are available? Then maybe rooting is not for you.

Only you can decide.

11. viebroccoli

viebroccoli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Automation Intern
    Harrisburg, PA
    I was satisfied with ICS, but being on Verizon, I am stuck on 4.0.2. I don't know if us Verizon folkes will ever see 4.0.4 until late summer, so rooting is looking pretty appetizing as of now. Also, when another update comes out, I won't have to wait months at a time for Verizon to allow it to be pushed through. If you're not on Verizon though, I'm sure this isn't an issue.

12. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i agree with just rooting it your self. Because if you don't understand the process and something happens two months from now you won't know how to fix it.

13. Matesims23

None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    I've been reading alot about it... if worse comes to worse I have a buddy that owns a cell shop lol

14. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    I would just Root it. its simple, reversable, and pretty much dummy proof (you have to be able to plug into a computer and read some simple directions)
    you can always choose to run stock, but if you want some more options to really make the phone yours, you can install a custom ROM...and that usually increses battery life and performance.

Matesims23 likes this.
  15. Matesims23

None

Dec 14, 2010
    Fort Smith
    So I been looking on YouTube and the gummy rom looks.pretty sweet...

Tags: