• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock ROM backup - How to? PLEASE HELP!

acl298

Lurker
Aug 25, 2014
I have droid razr hd with most up to date version of kitkat. My ultimate goal is to reactivate tethering on my phone. I am trying to accomplish this goal via unlocking bootloader and rooting my phone. I found instructions for this on andromods mods website via towel root. However, my issue is performing the initial back up the instructions recommend prior to doing so. I've never done this before so step-by-step instructions for the initial back up or all of it would be very helpful. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forums . I see you looking to root just follow this and you will be rooted with the towel root

DROID RAZR HD / MAXX HD official KitKat root and unlock bootloader | AndroMods

I already said i found those instructions to root. However, it says I need to back up my phone prior to following those instruction, and that is what I am asking help to do. I don't how to do it, and would like step-by-step instructions before i try to root my phone.

Upvote 0
Can I ask what app are you talking about. And are you seeking help or telling everyone of a new way to make a backup . I have a Verizon and have the twrp as my recovery . I didn't use the titanium cause the apps your Backing up . it show and tell you to just do a fresh start . when I say fresh start with the RSD you take the stock ROM and flash to the device . so now what app are you speaking of . the only other app would be safestrap . now which app are you speaking of and what software version are you on

Upvote 0
This video actually didn't help me at all. It didn't tell me which app I needed to download to perform the back-up. do I have to root my phone before I can even attempt a back-up? If so, then why does it tell me to back up my phone before I attempt to root my phone?

Also if you discovered what brick is these will help you out

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6665933

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You the man way to go. You was to update before you rooted if you take the update I think you will drop aka unroot. this update only fixes signal and icons just look at the URL i provided for you.

Keep root on 19.6.3 software for Droid Maxx, Ultra and Mini | AndroMods

Could I unroot my phone, then download the update, then root my phone again? would that work? Also, I download TWRP, turned off my phone, help both volume buttoms and then power button until recovery mode option was seen. I clicked up volume to select recovery, the phone began to reboot but then went to "no command" with android on his back with red triangle above his open chest. How do I fix this? How can I get to the TWRP backup menu so i can set a stock back up rom?

Thank you

Upvote 0
I've tried to take the update and it says "The update could not be properly validated. Please try again." I tried a few times and same outcome. Any suggestions?

If you've rooted, then you cannot take the update until you flash back to stock. Rooting modifies the system files, which are checked before an official OTA is applied. If the checksums do not match, it assumes the system partition has been modified, which it has with the rooting.

However, if you've already unlocked your bootloader, then you will be able to root it again without having to use the exploit.

Basically, follow these instructions to get you back to stock KK and then you can accept the OTA and then reroot your phone -> [FXZ] 4.4.2 183.46.10 - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com

Once you've applied the FXZ, then accept the OTA and then flash a custom recovery (like TWRP or CWM) and then root it via sideloading.

Once the bootloader has been unlocked, you do NOT have to use exploits anymore to root your phone. Just flash root via custom recovery and that's it.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
The op is already stock and unlocked boot . the op can unroot take the update hope that the update Dont relock boot . now if op has super Su as I asked before op can do a temp unroot from super Su app and take the update . its minor the update is to fix signal.

OTA cannot relock the bootloader on this phone. It is a physical change in the phone - basically, you blow what is akin to an efuse. Once that fuse is blown, it cannot be "repaired" which means an OTA will NOT relock the bootloader. It's not a software change, it's physical.

Upvote 0
If you've rooted, then you cannot take the update until you flash back to stock. Rooting modifies the system files, which are checked before an official OTA is applied. If the checksums do not match, it assumes the system partition has been modified, which it has with the rooting.

However, if you've already unlocked your bootloader, then you will be able to root it again without having to use the exploit.

Basically, follow these instructions to get you back to stock KK and then you can accept the OTA and then reroot your phone -> [FXZ] 4.4.2 183.46.10 - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com

Once you've applied the FXZ, then accept the OTA and then flash a custom recovery (like TWRP or CWM) and then root it via sideloading.

Once the bootloader has been unlocked, you do NOT have to use exploits anymore to root your phone. Just flash root via custom recovery and that's it.

But I don't know how to flash a custom recovery. I tried to follow instructions to use the TWRP, but when I try to reach the menu to do so via recovery mode as directed, my phone just says "no command" and when i try to use CWM, my phone model isnt listed when trying to back up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones