1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Stock Rom Kernal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pulazki, Apr 8, 2011.

1. pulazki

pulazki Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi, i'm fairly new to the whole rom and flashing scene for the HTC EVO
    so i'm having trouble finding a kernal that allows for overclocking, and bettery battery life, i'm also interested in what other things a custom kernal can provide me with?

I've flashed a bunch of roms but in the end i always come back to my rooted stock rom with sense. So i need a kernal that works well with the rooted stock rom. I'm mostly interested in overclocking it slightly 1.1 maybe 1.15 and also obtaining better battery life. Does overclocking really show a noticeable difference in speed and UI response? And if not, whats my best bet for performance and battery life with a kernal for the stock ROM.. I also do not understand the Havs and No Havs or the SBC any stuff that i always see listed with kernals. I want the most stable and least able to wreck my phone kernal ;) I understand how to flash, but do i need to do a full wipe before i flash a kernal?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated

I currently downloaded :

netarchy-toastmod-4.3.1-cfs-nohavs-nosbc-universal-signed

but i havent flashed it yet. Is this my best bet for what i want out of a kernal or does anyone have any other suggestions.. and remember no aosp just stock rom kernals.

Advertisement

2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    Welcome to the forum. Pretty much any custom kernel will have the capacity to be overclocked, netarchy kernels are pretty much the standard when running any sense based ROM, you'll come to find out :D; you can find them here. The overclocking isn't what's going to save you battery, it's the underclocking (245/1152), coupled w/ a screen off profile (245/245) that will. Yes, overclocking to 1152 is noticeably faster than stock....you'll definitely feel your Evo become a lot more responsive and less sluggish while you're phone is overclocked. You'll find all the information you need to know about HAVS, etc. here. And lastly, you do not need to do a full wipe when flashing a kernel, just wipe cache/dalvik cache. Hope this helps.

3. pulazki

pulazki Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    okie dokers, did a NAND backup and just flashed the kernal... waiting for it to boot up again now. will let u guys know my results =D

hrm, it's taking an ultra long time to boot.. been sitting at the 4g screen for a minute now... hope everything's okay

okay it finally booted up -- seems to be running reaaaaly slow right now

just installed setcpu and i attempted to move it past the 998 and it froze my phone and rebooted it.. gonna attempt it again, i scrolled it to the max and it instantly rebooted.. maybe i took it too far?

Okay i set it to 1152MHz and it does seem to be running alot better now, got up to 35MFLOPs when before i was getting a maximum of 31 mflops -- but without the overclock it seems to run really laggy when it first boots up, takes a minute to adjust and run normal it seems like

Okay Playing around with it for about 10 mins now.. and it is definitely faster, waaay faster.. extremely noticably faster.. pretty cool =)

4. frenchy714

None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    Whenever you wipe cache/dalvik cache, it'll take a bit longer to boot.

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    1152 is the max most phones like, sometimes you can get to 1190 but you wont notice much visually. It takes a new kernel a while to settle in, give it a day.

6. pulazki

pulazki Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    besides overclocking, what other advantages do i gain with this custom kernal (netarchy one i listed on my 1st post is what i have), and what other advantages can be gained with other custom kernals?

7. frenchy714

None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    So what's in the kernel? (copied and pasted from netarchy's xda thread)
    - Overclocking Support
    - HDMwIn (As of 4.3.4)
    - Audio gain tweaks (read: make it louder!)
    - Fps Fixes
    - tun.ko for openvpn users
    - CIFS support (as of 4.2.2)
    - BFS (in select builds)
    - BFQ (in select builds)
    - HAVS (as of 4.1.9)
    - Assorted fixes/tweaks (that are sadly too numerous to list here)
    - An army of rabid naked bunnies

There aren't too many other advantages using other custom kernel's outside of the ones already known by you.

8. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Underclocking to save battery, better performance, not a whole lot else with no havs no sbcabove what is listed ...

Tags: