1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stock RUU

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by carter6739, Dec 22, 2012.

1. carter6739

carter6739 Member

is there any way to turn the stock ruu into a flashble zip?? I remember when I had my evo 4g there was a ruu in a zip file

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dwappo7851

dwappo7851 Well-Known Member

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

As long as you have s-off it could be done.

It just depends in whether or not your devs have built it

4. carter6739

carter6739 Member

Thats the thing I can't get the ruu to run I keep getting ERROR 170 usb cable not installed???

5. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert

You can pull the "rom.zip" file from the RUU.exe using these instructions, rename it to "PG86IMG.zip" and flash it from the bootloader. Since that file is signed by HTC, it should work for S-ON users.

ramjet73

Prinny, carter6739 and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. carter6739

carter6739 Member

Do I have to lock the bootloader for this to work??

7. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase

My guess is yes. I did at least.

carter6739 and ramjet73 like this.
  8. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert

Yes, for S-ON users. S-OFF users that want to "refresh" with the RUU can flash it with an unlocked stock bootloader if they chose to do that instead of flashing a custom hboot.

ramjet73

carter6739 likes this.
  9. Prinny

Somewhat on and off topic, but ramjet, why does an S-On user need to lock the bootloader, but an S-Off does not? I'm curious about this.

10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Because soff is still "locked"

11. Prinny

But I thought to get S-Off you had to unlock....man this hurts my head. o_O

12. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I'm not familiar with your phones root method specifics, but s-off users don't need to relock before an ruu because the boot loader isn't in an unlocked state. You may have to unlock to get s-off but it is no longer unlocked once attained

13. mrawesome22

mrawesome22 Android Enthusiast

Once s-off, you can flash any hboot you desire. Locked, unlocked, custom, brainlocked, quadlocked.

Just don't matter.

14. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert

It has to do with the signature check for the zip file. That's bypassed for S-OFF users but for S-ON users the security prevents even a signed zip file from being flashed by the bootloader if it is unlocked, and even the RUU.exe ultimately uses the bootloader to flash the files.

ramjet73

15. ramjet73

ramjet73 Android Expert

That depends on whether or not you use the htcdev unlock on your bootloader after you are S-OFF. I don't recommend that since it will force you to relock and leave an indicator (*** RELOCKED ***) in the bootloader that you have modified the phone when flashing an RUU to return to stock, but some users do that when they find they cannot run fastboot commands like "flash" and "erase" even with S-OFF using a locked stock bootloader. The better way to get access to those commands is to flash a custom hboot like JBear, ENG or Revolutionary that supports those commands without having to unlock the bootloader.

I have a post about this on XDA, with a link to another very informative post by unknownforce if anyone is interested in more detail.

ramjet73