1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Stock S4 Messaging App

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BigRedGonzo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    While using the stock S4 Messaging app, I have noticed that, when you send a text to a group, it sends the text as an MMS not an SMS. This doesn't bother me because the group messaging works well. I have noticed although that it will not send when connected to WiFi. I can send a group message and the little spinning thingy will spin forever while on WiFi, but as soon as I turn WiFi off, it fires the message off right away. Anybody else seen this? If so, is there a solution to this? I particularly like the stock app, so I don't want to change.

Advertisement

2. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    North Carolina
    I don't recall having seen this issue on my i337. MMS goes whether or not I have wifi enabled... as long as I have a mobile data connection (required).

Early on in my Android experience (on a Straight Talk Galaxy Proclaim running 2.3.6 - Gingerbread), I used Juice Defender and aggressively (too aggressively) turned off data and wifi in a misguided attempt to conserve battery life.

I found that I had many issues sending MMS messages. Once I learned that leaving the data radio enabled really did not make a significant difference in MY battery life, I left it on and my MMS message sending issues were pretty much over. That was also using Verizon's service (native towers only - no roaming... per ST's service arrangement).

Now with my i337, I'm using AT&T's service and have been equally (or better) pleased with the service. I wonder if your issues may be more related to a VZW issue than a phone issue?

Edit: btw, I"m with you in terms of liking the stock messaging app. My only complaint is my carrier imposed 10 person group texting limit that I have not YET figured out how to bypass without resorting to breaking up a group into smaller segments and sending multiple group messages... which sorta defeats the purpose. ;)

BigRedGonzo likes this.
  3. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Male
    Retired after 30 years military. Full time student
    Colorado
    Lots of threads on here where MMS doesn't always send over WiFi if you are on Verizon.

4. scott_

scott_ Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2011
    electrician
    Central Iowa
    Am I missing something that sms and mms require a "data" plan or wifi?
    How do "feature" phones send/receive text when only having a phone plan without data.
    Even in the "old" days without a specific texting plan, you could still receive messages.