1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Stock video player (video and subtitle formats supported?)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdl, Nov 5, 2011.

1. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi all,

what video player comes preinstalled on the Note? Is it a Samsung app optimised for the Note? Would there be any benefit in using Diceplayer instead? But most of all, what formats does it support?

These days it's hard to find a player which doesn't support the usual suspects (divx, xvid, h.264 etc) but I have yet to find one which supports idx/sub subtitles, whether stored as external files or embedded in an mkv.

I'd rather not convert all my subs to srt because idx/sub are saved as images, and need an OCR conversion to be turned into srts (text), which in my experience is far from flawless...

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. DSD

DSD Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    I've tried the stock player which comes with the Note and it performs well with AC3 but not with DTS. Also it does not handle builtin subtitles.

I also got DicePlayer and it performs very well, it handles both AC3 and DTS and builtin subtitles. So your best bet is DicePlayer.

Also playing a 1080p H264 MKV with DTS is no problem for the Note. :)

3. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    That is great to hear. 90% of the stuff I'll be watching on my Note will be 720p mkv's, which I expect to look awesome on that screen.

4. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    By built in subtitles you mean embedded in an mkv? How about srt or idx/sub subtitles stored as separate files with the same name as the video (but different extension of course)?

Thanks

5. DSD

DSD Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Regarding 720p and 1080p, personally I think that 720p is much better when playing on the Note since it's mapped pixel by pixel. Only 80 pixels are left out but that's not noticeable.

DicePlayer has support for external subtitles as well (SSA,SMI,SRT).
    You just have to select Other subtitle and select the external one.

6. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    The formats you mentioned are text files, ie the subtitles are saved as test, not as images. Almost all the subtitles I have are in the idx/sub format (there is one sub format with the subtitles saved as images, and one idx file with the time stamps to sync subs and video), which is not supported by DicePlayer. Idx/sub are easier to create when you rip a movie because you don't have to convert the subtitles to text via ocr, which is far from flawless. My solution so far has been to hardcode the subs I need in the videos using virtualdub for avis and handbrake for mkvs; this doesn't take long on my quad-core PC but may be a pain on slower PCs.

http://androidforums.com/android-media/440363-merging-hardcoding-subtitles-video.html