• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stockish 2.2 for Hero?

archercc

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I am about to root my girlfriend's phone because it has just reached the point where its maddeningly slow. My first thing on the list was to search and destroy the bloatware but I was wondering if there was a good build of 2.2 that was as stock as possible (everything working and reliable) as she wouldnt be willing to put up with some of the bugs that are on some of the heavily customized roms. I am hoping that simply getting on an updated kernel with the new JIT compiler and V8 engine would make a big difference on the Hero alone.

Am i wrong?

Right now, to my knowledge, the ONLY 2.2 ROM out for the Sprint Hero is CM6. CM6 is NOT stock at all (i.e. no "Sense" features).

Thanks, I may try it on this spare hero (my old phone before going to Evo) and see what she thinks. I guess if worse comes to worse I could install sense and make it the launcher (along with installing all of the other HTC apps that it relies on).

Upvote 0
Thanks, I may try it on this spare hero (my old phone before going to Evo) and see what she thinks. I guess if worse comes to worse I could install sense and make it the launcher (along with installing all of the other HTC apps that it relies on).

If you are thinking of flashing the CM6, you will NOT be able to install any HTC apps onto the CM6 rom.
As far as the launcher is concerned, CM6 comes stock with ADW, you can try launcherpro from the market if you would like

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones