1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

STOLEN HTC Incredible - in need of some SERIOUS hacker help..

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by singorscream26, Apr 7, 2011.

1. singorscream26

None

Apr 7, 2011
    today at work, while i was working alone, in a BUSY shoe store with no cameras, my phone was stolen as i was looking for something in the back room.

on this phone is about 4 years worth of pictures, and irreplaceable memories i (like an idiot..) do NOT have backed up to my computer.

as soon as i realized it was stolen, i called mall security (who's worthless), my local Police dept. and also Verizon who turned off all services to my phone.

i now have a Moto Droid 1 that i am borrowing from a friend until i can get my replacement phone. my real question is, is there ANY way of tracking down this phone? NOTE: this phone does NOT have any previously installed apps that would allow me to track this if/when it's lost/stolen. i've tried EVERYTHING.. GPS Tracker, Lookout, Plan B, everything. the problem i keep running into is that my phone # is now on this moto droid, and so is my email acct.

there is a ton of pictures, notes, reminders, etc.. i only have on that phone. not having it is worse than taking my wallet and burning all my photo albums at home..
    ANY AND ALLLLLL HELP IS APPRECIATED! thank you guys in advance..

Advertisement

2. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    I've heard that the Lookout developers have an locater app called Plan B which can be purchased from their website and remotely installed to the phone after it has been lost or stolen. No info on how well it works. But since you've turned off service to the phone I don't think that will work anyway. (edited to add: Sorry, of course it'd work if the thief connects to wifi. Guess I wasn't awake yet.:O)

3. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    I know this is common sense but make sure you change all your passwords, specially your google one since they can access the market with it. If your had 3rd party email accounts on the phone make sure you changer them too.

4. Leonard Lamber

None

Apr 5, 2011
    Software Development
    Illinois
    Have mall security, if they have cameras and video recordings, see who went into the store around that time. Track them back to other places they shopped prior to coming into your store. If they bought something at one of those other stores, you might be able to get info about the transaction.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Someone has been watching too much CSI. If you want to do that in real life, you better get a lot of subpoenas in order to pull it off. Also be ready to spend thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars fighting with the malls lawyers who won't want to give up the information due to privacy concerns. You will literally spend thousands and probably tens of thousands of dollars trying to recover this phone with no guarantee of success if you go this way.

6. Bonfiggy

Bonfiggy Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    The likelihood of any security footage making it into your hands is slim to none, with an emphasis on none.

I work for a bank, and while different from a retail establishment, we take our footage extremely seriously. We don't even share footage with the FBI until they have proper warrants.

Outside of installing remote apps, I'm not sure what your options might be, but I'd discount any further help from the Mall Security area at this point, and save yourself the trouble.

7. Rustin Hieber

Rustin Hieber Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Well it sounds like you have no other choice til you get you replacement phone.

8. Blomsty

Blomsty Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Student
    Norway
    Is your phone compatible with HTC sense?

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I would think that since VZW has already disconnected service you will not be able to remotely install plan B. Hate to tell you but if the person had any sort of knowledge the first thing they would have done is wipe the phone/sd card storage to remove any traces of you being the owner. VZW will mark the ESN so it can not be activated again with VZW. Check local craigslist, ebay, and pawn shops your phone may show up there. If you don't find it, the new owner will flash it over to another CDMA network and use it.

10. Agape

Agape Member
    None

Isn't the incredible compatible with the sense program? If so, you can probably go to the website and track down the buggers using the gps on your phone.

11. erwaso

erwaso Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    CO
    sorry to hear. im no help in the matter but 4yrs without backing up the sdcard? i cant go a month without backing up my whole phone lol. hopefully u have insurance to replace it the phone.