• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stolen Phone Tracking System?

Originally Posted by Chuck O. Jones
Install free Lookout, configure, and you're all set, gents!

(Oh, and password protect the app with an applocker against uninstalling!)

Some launcher apps (like Launcher Pro plus) allow you to hide apps in the app drawer. Lookout can be completely hidden, and unless the thief knows what they're doing they're not going to find it.

Assume the thief knows what they're doing: password-protect...

Upvote 0
Cerebus should be on this list. It is GREAT. (I'm not affiliated in any way, just use the product).

Remote picture taking. Auto picture if lock code entered incorrectly too many time. Set off alarm on phone, with a message on the screen. When alarm is acknoledged, take a pic.

Just very cool. Not an AV/Spyware app, but very cool for locating/wiping/protecting your device.

-Chak

Upvote 0
Hi all

What is considered the best app which is not dependent on a sim card / SMS. I found AntiDroidTheft which sends it's GPS location to a website but one posting I saw implied very heavy battery usage. I would expect a thief to remove the Sim card asap.

Is there an app which maybe sends the mobile cell location (as indicated on Google Maps before fixing a GPS position). I suppose, the main question is whether there is an app which can therefore indicate a rough position if the phone is indoors too.

C

Upvote 0
Is there an app which maybe sends the mobile cell location (as indicated on Google Maps before fixing a GPS position). I suppose, the main question is whether there is an app which can therefore indicate a rough position if the phone is indoors too.

Latitude (stock on your phone)? FourSquare? GPS Status?

The accuracy is determined by the number and quality of the GPS signals received by your phone. Indoors GPS reception will (severely) be degraded.

Upvote 0
Latitude (stock on your phone)? FourSquare? GPS Status?

The accuracy is determined by the number and quality of the GPS signals received by your phone. Indoors GPS reception will (severely) be degraded.

Bleedin hell, of course I know of apps that give you your GPS position. The thread is about tracing lost / stolen phones and I don't think you'd be running some of these programs permanently. I need a program which will try and get a position once every say 30 mins. You could then check a portal for the last known location.

And then, even better if a program can relay to you it's aprox location based on the 3g cell info the way Google Maps can display it.

C

Upvote 0
Bleedin hell, of course I know of apps that give you your GPS position.

You're welcome.

The thread is about tracing lost / stolen phones and I don't think you'd be running some of these programs permanently.
If it uses less juice than others, why not?
Latitude and FourSquare, etc., are only useful if you run them. So if you're a user of one of those apps chances are it's running permanently on your phone...

it's aprox location based on the 3g cell info
That's useless for tracking a phone: 3G cell info 'accuracy' is about half a mile. If you're lucky...

Upvote 0
A smart thief will reset the phone in that case. A hidden app gives you more time.

Agreed.
Unless the smart thief is smart enough to look for hidden apps and files, of course.
:cool:
Time is essential. If the thief finds either locked or hidden tracker apps he will ditch the phone like a hot potatoe. Immediately. Because he realises he can be picked up any second. That point will be within 1 or 2 hours max of the phone's theft. So don't wait for a second and get on an internet device ASAP to track your phone while it's still moving, in someone's pocket, before it's peacefully resting at the bottom of a canal.
Those of us who can remember McGyver, though, will know to ditch tracked stuff in a train, plane, or truck. Something that keeps moving all the time and covers considerable distances.

:D

Tip:
when you're tracking your stolen phone on another internet device while at the same time calling the cops to give them a blow-by-blow, make as many date/time stamped* screenshots of the tracker's screen as you can. It's killer evidence in the court case.

*On Macs that's automatic: in the EXIF data of the screenshot. I would assume that's the same on Windows and Linux desktops?

Upvote 0
Cerebus should be on this list. It is GREAT. (I'm not affiliated in any way, just use the product).

Remote picture taking. Auto picture if lock code entered incorrectly too many time. Set off alarm on phone, with a message on the screen. When alarm is acknoledged, take a pic.

Just very cool. Not an AV/Spyware app, but very cool for locating/wiping/protecting your device.

-Chak

That would be 'Cerberus'. Available in the Market.
Looks interesting indeed. Here's an opportunity for someone to shine by posting a comparative review! Here and on Youtube, of course.

Upvote 0
Perfect - Cerberus mentioned Sim Checker Pro which, it would seem, can send you an email / sms once it sees another sim other than your own. That will do the trick because my only interest is to ever get the phone back. I never pin lock a phone so if I ever lost it accidentally, another person can answer it if I call it.

My belief is that many thieves are opportunist. They steal and then sell on asap. They'll take the Sim out and let the new buyer stick their own sim in. I really do not think they'll go to the trouble of deleting the old contacts or any other data or programs since too, the new buyer would be thick not to know of the dodgy origin.

So it's really worth your while for the phone to be Sim Free too so any sim could be inserted.

So any recommendations for a Free Sim Checker app ?

Upvote 0
Cerberus mentioned Sim Checker Pro which, it would seem, can send you an email / sms once it sees another sim other than your own.

Sounds great, but isn't that SIM-card associated with your Google account and consequently with all the apps? So that when identification can't be completed (no, or wrong SIM card) the associated apps won't work? So it wouldn't be capable of sending (or receiving) SMS or email messages.
I.o.w. doesn't removing the SIM card kill all functions?

Upvote 0
I have installed Sim Checker Pro and it would seem that it simply will use whatever new sim has been installed to send a text message which obviously gives you the new sim identity. It can be setup to also send an email which I assume will use 3G data if available or else wi-fi if enabled by the new holder of the phone. Obviously it will also try and send aproximate network location. The only downside I see with it is that the app is visible so I suppose it could be removed from the phone.

C

Upvote 0
I have installed Sim Checker Pro and it would seem that it simply will use whatever new sim has been installed to send a text message which obviously gives you the new sim identity. It can be setup to also send an email which I assume will use 3G data if available or else wi-fi if enabled by the new holder of the phone. Obviously it will also try and send aproximate network location. The only downside I see with it is that the app is visible so I suppose it could be removed from the phone.

So make it a) invisible, and b) lock it...?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones