1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Stop Android from automatically adding +1 prefix

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by doublespiral, Jan 30, 2011.

1. doublespiral

doublespiral Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    I travel frequently to Mexico. When in Mexico, the phone numbers are the same 10-digits as in the U.S., but the phone system does not recognize the preceding +1.

For example, if you want to call someone in San Francisco, you can dial 415-555-1234. If the phone automatically adds the 1 (1-415-555-1234), the call still goes through fine.

In Mexico, I have contacts in my contact list that have a phone number such as 624-555-1234. When I access them from my contact list, Android automatically adds the 1, dialing 1-624-555-1234. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Mexico. I need to dial just the 10 digits.

How do I stop Android from automatically adding the +1? If I want the +1 I will add it to my contacts myself.

There is a feature called Assisted Dialing (or something similar) that I thought would control this, but I turned it off and it continues to add the leading 1 automatically. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    What happens if you change the assisted dialing to 'Mexico'?

3. doublespiral

doublespiral Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't change the phone's behavior. It doesn't seem to matter whether Assisted Dialing is On of Off, or which country is selected.

It still adds the preceding 1 to a phone number in my contacts lists when it dials it.

4. NinJin

NinJin Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm having the same issue, I had used Prefix dialing for all my co-workers in intl countries, but now android keeps adding a 1 even to local area codes & so I can't dial or send msgs to local contacts - driving me crazy, pls help someone