1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stop Automatic Email Fetch

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fulltime Traveler, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Fulltime Traveler

Fulltime Traveler Well-Known Member

I have my Bionic set to manually fetch email, but it seems to ignore that setting and periodically download mail from my ISP's server.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast

This is one of my pet peeves too. Seems every time that the phone reeastablishes a data cannection it checks email. Not only that but a lot of programs open up when the data connection comes back as well.

To me this is a major flaw of Android. No program needs to open that I don't open myself. It's one of the main reasons I may look seriously at a Windows based phone in a year and a half.

3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I think that this is a flaw with Motorola's messaging/mail app and not stock Android. You can try a third party app for mail (K-9 mail) - I'm not sure about the fetch rules, as I haven't used the app for a while (I do all mail with the GMail app, and that is easy to stop, by turning off data sync, if you really want to stop it). K-9 is probably better; as I said, Moto's mail app is pretty mediocre anyway.

4. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast

It could be as far as the message app goes. However, the GMail app still starts itself whenever the data establishes a connection/reconnection. I don't think it automatically checks for mail, but I can't say for sure because I don't use the GMail account for anything.

I do know that the issue of apps running is not just a Moto issue, it is an Android issue. I've played around with other Android phones and tested it by cutting the data connections and restablishing one and the same apps that are on mine that start up do so with other phones. There's just no call for that.

No one would put up with an application on their computer just opening up whenever it wanted to and then to close it out you had to go to the Task Manager. Most apps for Android don't even have an exit button, but I know it can be designed in because some, like the Weather Channel app, do. And I notice a lot more apps it seems on the app store have in their permissions to start up on device boot. That is simply not needed and makes no sense.

Android needs to do some work on some of these issues.

5. sgschwend

sgschwend Member

I was able to turn mine off, it was annoying they way it picked up the mail. My guess is that only the minority of the users would want the phone to work that way.

Anyway I am just using a manual Fetch schedule on a private domain (Bluehost) account. No data push turn on.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews