• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stop Email app from synching when abroad?

tauran121

Jan 29, 2010
does anyone know an easy way of stopping email sync when abroad?

i tested this recently when in guernsey:
went to settings> accounts and sync:
turn off background data
turn off auto-sync

but my other email accounts still continued to receive emails. the ones setup through the email app. hence data was still being used.

i don't want to switch data off completely, i want it to be there for when I need it, e.g. using google maps and the odd internet search here and there.

can anyone help me achieve this please?

i couldn't get much help in the sgs2 forum so asking here now.

it's been suggested that i can change the sync shedule to "never", but i have to do this for 4 email accounts and was looking for a quicker one-touch option which can switch off sync for me and easy to turn back on when i touch down in the UK again.

What you've done should do it. Are the other email accounts done via separate apps (gmail, yahoo etc).

In your Wireless & Networks menu, do you have an option to switch off data whilst roaming?

Thinking about this, the email app may have it's own sync settings. Turning off Auto sync only works for the apps listed on the sync page.

Upvote 0
What you've done should do it. Are the other email accounts done via separate apps (gmail, yahoo etc).

that's what i thought, verys stragne that email keeps coming through. I have the standard GMAIL app but that switchs off along with auto-sync, then I have 4 emails synch'd in the Email app. i was hoping that the background data selection would switch off the email app sync.

Thinking about this, the email app may have it's own sync settings.
it does, but you have to do manually for each individual email account you have synch'd, in my case 4. was hoping someone could tell me how to switch it off completely.
The email accounts I have synch'd in the email app are all set to sync at different times, e.g 1 is on push email, one every 4 hours and 1 set to once a day etc.

Upvote 0
i wanted to get minimal charges when away, so i want the internet to be available to me as i may want to use it. so i could just turn 3g on at the time i need it right. but by doing that all these other items will try to sync using more data than i want it to, hence the need to disable anything from synching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones