1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stop hiding X button.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Grrrrrrrrr, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Grrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrr Newbie

I recently purchased a Shield Tablet. This is my first time using a "Mobile OS".

There is one thing about the OS (android 6.o) I find extremely irritating.

I have to wait for the damn X (close window) button to fade in. Someone had to include extra code to hide the button that uses cpu cycles to make it wait x seconds before fading into view.

Is there a way to change this behavior?

PS I have no problems with hacking into the OS and editing hidden system files if that's what is required.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Brian706, Feb 3, 2016 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hello!
    What browser are you using? The stock browser?
    I was assuming you speak of the internet on your tablet :)

4. Grrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrr Newbie

No, I am talking about every single window.

[​IMG]

mikedt and Mikestony like this.
  5. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

For a simple work around, try just editing your animation settings in developer options. Marshmallow is very animation heavy and while it's pretty, I found it to be a bit too delayed for my taste on my Nexus 6 so I shortened all of the animations to .5x and it feels snappier.

To enable developer options go to settings > about tablet tap on build number 7 times and it will enable developer options in your settings menu.

Then go into settings > developer options and scroll down into the drawing section and try reducing the animation scales.

Mikestony likes this.
  6. Grrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrr Newbie

Brian,

I turned off "Window Animation Scale", "Transition Animation Scale", and "Animator Transition Scale" and the windows display instantly, this I like but, the X still takes 2 seconds to appear, and it fades in when it does so.

7. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

I think that's just how the recent tab works. Not sure if there is a way to change it.

8. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Oh, I see what you are saying now. Mine does that too, I've never noticed as I don't use the X's. Did you know you can also swipe away recent apps? It will allow you to swipe away even before the X shows up.

Jfalls63, El Presidente and Mikestony like this.
  9. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

On all of my Android phones, I just simply turn OFF anything having to do with Animations or Gestures...

I want FAST and simple.... and NO Surprises and doing something I did not initiate with a finger press.

10. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Just tried the swipe, learn something new here every day.

Brian706 and Mikestony like this.
  11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Meh, not that swiping away the recent app makes any difference anyway. It's just a history of apps, not a list of apps currently running.

12. Grrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrr Newbie

As my 2 year old would say "OWSOOM!" No I didn't know that, thanks.

@Jfalls Like the AV, I use that one sometimes myself ;)

Brian706 and Jfalls63 like this.