1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stop Jelly Bean Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 1WalkingDead, Apr 5, 2013.

1. 1WalkingDead

1WalkingDead Newbie
    None

Apr 5, 2013
    Re: Droid Razr on Verizon

I am all for updates when there are no problems.
    About 8 months ago I was pushed out the ICS update.
    After that fiasco I have decided that at this time I do not want Jelly Bean.
    Now I just delay the installation and read forums.

What I would like to ask for the forum is how to stop these updates without rooting the phone.

(It really pisses me off when they send these OTA updates)
    There is no warning.

I have been declining the installation but it bothers me when I see a countdown of less than 30 seconds.

What I tried to do was clear the cashe partition. I thought that had worked.
    There was no notice for over a week.

Until yesterday.

Can anyone tell me if any of these are workarounds to delaying the update?

1) Will turning off the wifi and 4G/3G functons stop the installation? <BTW -I learned after doing this my battery life increased. I went about 2 days to charge from half a day charging. Note: That's without really any use>

I heard the file was large so I am assuming if I manually turn them on only when I need them then that would solve the problem. However even with them off I still got the pushed the OTA update this morning. I hit the Later button. Gosh they don't give you much time.

2)If I miss delaying the installation (i.e. don't hit the Later button) will it fail the installation without being connected to either wifi or 4G/3G?
    I assumed the file needs either of them to download. Am I correct in my assumption or will it be pushed OTA? If it needs wifi or 4G/3G and it doesn't connect will that mean the phone will still have ICS?

2) Is there a file that I can delete that the OTA message created?
    If so, what is it titled? If it can't be deleted, I read somewhere that there are apps that can freeze it? Can someone guide me here?

Let me just add that I am a novice. I bought the phone when it was first came out in Nov 2011. I use it just to make calls, surf the web and periodically watch videos / movies. It's like a little mini tablet. I have unlimited data. I don't want to loose flash ability on some websites or the ability to tether.

I am considering learning to root the phone but I would need step by step instructions.
    I have seen some videos and have read some forums about doing this. Since my phone is older than a year I am not under their warranty anymore and feel these updates should be optional to the consumer so as not to loose the functionality of the phones we have become accustomed to --that includes apps you've paid for and apps that may now not be compatible with the Jelly Bean update.

BTW- I don't even have the cable yet to connect the phone to the pc. What is it that I need to get?

Any tips / directions / instructions / links and advice would be most appreciated.

Feel free to comment.
    Thanks!

Advertisement

2. brobox

brobox Member
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Done with that
    SW Florida
    I have the same question. If I may make a suggestion, shorten your post, more might read it and respond. I hope there is an answer.

3. Grey1001

Grey1001 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    NorCal
    side load the .215 version, it takes you off the upgrade path ( or so I've read )

4. 1WalkingDead

1WalkingDead Newbie
    None

Apr 5, 2013
    thanks. but I really am not sure what that means. baby steps.

5. 1WalkingDead

1WalkingDead Newbie
    None

Apr 5, 2013
  6. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You really need to have root control. Then you can disable the updater and do many other things as well. You might want to consider rooting. I'm still running GB and love it. No annoying update issues and no hotspot access issues. Rooting is the way to go.

7. Ssith

Ssith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2011
    **YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE SHENANIGANS**

rooting is easy. use Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com and it takes about a half hour. you will lose data if you do step one, but you may be able to skip step one. i've never skipped it, but if you're running the .211 OTA of ICS 4.0.4 in theory you should just be able to go right to step two, rooting.

you DO in fact have the cable, it came with your phone. it's the part that unattaches from the wall charger. it's got USB on one end, and Micro USB on the other.