1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stop marshmallow update

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    My Sony Z3 started2 download Marshmallow ive manage2 stop it &put setting back2 Do not auto update as tablet updated few weeks back &still not got all the bugs out off it cause ay Marshmallow so DONT want ma phone MESSED UP aswell but cant get rid off update software notification. Will it go after a day or so or will i b forced2 update????

Advertisement

2. alkin

alkin Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2016
    Marshmallow is quite well on my Sony Z3, what's the problem?

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Ideally you would do a factory reset in conjunction with major upgrade. In that case I agree most people will have no problems.

If you want to stop the update notification, maybe long-press on it and see if there is an option to block that application.

scary alien likes this.
  4. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast
    None

Point is, the user's wishes should be respected. He bought the device, pays for the service, and should be able to do what he wants with it, not what his carrier or the device manufacturer wants to allow him to do.

The Free Software movement is in much better shape in the desktop computer world than it is on mobile, but this is something that is going to be up to us to change. It's going to be a long road, but we must begin by talking about Free Software and educating all of the new smartphone users that have flooded into these amazing computing devices in the last several years.

Keep in mind also that we are already at the point that everything is a computer, or will be one soon. The mobile devices are just the first wave. Next it will be your refrigerator, etc. Do you really want your refrigerator firmware to refuse to upgrade itself, planned obsolescence, etc. so that it stops working and you have to buy a new one every 2 years? Because that is the direction we are heading in folks, if we don't start demanding products that respect the user's wishes.