• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stop OneDrive from downloading files

Hey everyone! Sorry for opening a new thread, I couldn't find something similar.

Anyway, I bought a new phone few days ago and got 100 GB of OneDrive space with it. I'm using cloud services mostly on my PC and I was using Dropbox so far, but 100 GB made me change my mind so I started using OneDrive yesterday. The thing is that I only have 2 GB of mobile data monthly and I don't want every file to sync and download on my phone. I just want syncronization on my laptop and my PC.

In application settings I can only disable automatic upload of photos, but not download. In phone App settings, I can disable storage option, but I tried to test it and I still see the photo on my phone after I upload it from my PC. Is it possible that this is only preview and I have to download it manually or the syncronization is still enabled somehow?

The most convenient solution would be uninstall or disabling the OneDrive app completely, but I suppose that's not possible?

Thank you in advance!

It should, but there's no such an option either in OneDrive settings nor in phone Apps settings.

However, I 'removed' the OneDrive application as I would remove bloatware and I think it should be completelly disabled now. S7 has great way of doing it, unlike LG G2 which I used earlier and which only allowed to reset pre-installed apps to default instead of disabling it.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone! Sorry for opening a new thread, I couldn't find something similar.

Anyway, I bought a new phone few days ago and got 100 GB of OneDrive space with it. I'm using cloud services mostly on my PC and I was using Dropbox so far, but 100 GB made me change my mind so I started using OneDrive yesterday. The thing is that I only have 2 GB of mobile data monthly and I don't want every file to sync and download on my phone. I just want syncronization on my laptop and my PC.

In application settings I can only disable automatic upload of photos, but not download. In phone App settings, I can disable storage option, but I tried to test it and I still see the photo on my phone after I upload it from my PC. Is it possible that this is only preview and I have to download it manually or the syncronization is still enabled somehow?

The most convenient solution would be uninstall or disabling the OneDrive app completely, but I suppose that's not possible?

Thank you in advance!

Disable it:
http://androidforums.com/threads/disable-remove-onedrive-in-windows-10.934501/

Upvote 0
I'm with Chanchan. I don't think the OneDrive app downloads the entire cloud to your phone. Cloud storage accounts are typically too big for that. The cloud apps usually just let you access the files from the cloud, downloading (or streaming) the file when you need it.

I access my OneDrive, Google Drive, and Box.net accounts from Xplore File Manager app. For me, it's not worth having separate cloud apps when my file manager app can access my cloud accounts. (I used to do the same from ES File Explorer before I got worried about the Chinese government accessing my cloud accounts.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones