• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stop receiving pub messages

So you have a similar problem but on your computers. It is easier to deal with that because, as computers are relatively older and used by more knowledgeable people we have a better and wider access to information than with phones, used mostly by dummies. Then, Google and the manufacturers don't make things easier. This is why I know so little about phone software.

I understand what you say, but there is one difference. It is not possible to send SMS messages to a computer. Only e-mails, and that can be identified, even with fake headers, and blocked in several ways. SMS messages on phones do not show headers or anything. For me they are blind texts. There must be some way to block these cell phones text messages. It was hoping to find one that I posted here.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am very happy for you interest helping, but I can't agree with your suggested solutions because they are not.

As I described more than once, these are not the usual P2P SMS because they have different characteristics. From recent searches I am almost sure they are what is on the Wikipedia link on my last post. They are ONE WAY SMS, as better described here, an offer from a service provider and this description fits perfectly what I receive and, I can imagine, millions too, because, as I read, its usage is increasing by billions sent messages every year. Both service notifications and commercial spam. They do not use the name spam, but that is what it is. There are a many enterprises providing this service of which Twilio.com or Nexmo.com seem to be the largest ones.

"According to IDC the A2P messaging market is large at $23.4 billion in 2014, and it is growing at a compound annual growth rate of 8% through 2019." [From Nexmo]https://www.nexmo.com/blog/2015/10/29/the-sms-value-chain-is-broken/

If this is my problem – as I believe, and not the sort of old known spam – all I need is a way to block them. Nothing else would be effective. I ignore how, but that cannot be impossible, which the reason I came here asking for help.

Upvote 0
lunatic59, received messages in Europe are only charged if in roaming. Also, as I don't like customer loyalty, I would never by phones from carriers, and I have a pay in advance call plan without bills because I only make a fraction of the calls I used to years ago.

I know perfectly the origin of these commercial spam messages, as I said before. They are not hiding their IDs because they are promoting their products and services. They are from my cable (internet + TV + land line phone) provider and shops that I have their cards. From no one else for the moment. Not from my mobile phone carrier either. They all have my number. Many people do not mind about this sort of abuse. Some even think that pub is useful, but I hate it.

Have you looked up my links on my lest post about one way A2P SMS messaging? I believe the answer is there, but I couldn't find on mu my searches. Must be hidden and very hard to find, not to cut their profits.

Upvote 0
The only sure way of detecting and blocking spoofed messages is to screen incoming mobile-originated messages to verify that the sender is a valid subscriber and that the message is coming from a valid and correct location. This can be implemented by adding an intelligent routing function to the network that can query originating subscriber details from the HLR before the message is submitted for delivery. This kind of intelligent routing function is beyond the capabilities of legacy messaging infrastructure
Is this your answer?
http://www.gsma.com/membership/majority-of-mobile-network-operators-unprepared-for-a2p-monetization/
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&r...zXsg2JTpQ&sig2=20CLYL8xo2zlWroiV0H8Sg&cad=rja
Also, a couple of good reads which might explain your problem.

Upvote 0
lunatic59 Oh dear! that's exactly what I said on a few of my first posts: no phone number, no possibility to block the senders. I have been playing the same note from the beginning. No, I also believe there is no way to opt out as from on P2P SMS, but there must be a way to block the kind of source. I am nearly 100% sure these texts come through one way A2P (Application-to-person) SMS, not the common P2P SMS.

nu2andy, it seems that you found what it was. Meanwhile, I posted this question on Quora and got the following answer. It describes the problem, but I will have to learn how to do it.

This is a great question! There are a few ways to block SMS marketing messages.

Contact your carrier. If you do not want to be able to interact with SMS short codes you can contact your carrier and have them block short code messaging to your device. It’s important to remember the only way to reverse this is contact your carrier to have them enable short code messaging.

Block short code messaging on your handset. Certain android devices will allow you to block short code messaging. Once the feature has been disabled you can receive short codes messages again. You can check with devices manufacture to see if this is a feature on your phone.

You can also opt out of a short code. The STOP or STOP ALL command can be used to remove you from the SMS marketing database. STOP would prevent you from receiving messages from the last account you interacted with. STOP ALL will prevent you from receiving any messages form the short code all. I hope this was helpful!

Jon Deraps, Mobile certified and SMS marketer.

I believe this, at least partially, justifies my insistence on this thread trying to stop these spam messages. From what we can read it seems that soon everyone will be bombed with this relatively new sort of spam.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones