1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stopping Chrome from opening pdf

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by chanchan05, Mar 6, 2016.

1. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Anybody know how to stop Chrome from attempting to open pdfs online? It would have been nice is it was compatible, but the html link isn't. I'd like to go back to downloading the file.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I had to quit using Chrome, I have now switched over to Ghostery which works better for me.
    I just now did a test to download my own PDF from my own forum, which was just an image of an invoice.

Long Press does nothing :mad:

The message with the post just says "Click here to View Attachment", and when I did that, it comes up with "Image Missing".

So, no help for your request at all, but that seems to be a real issue with our smartphone browser apps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Adblock gives me this on Long Press:
    share link
    Open link in new tab
    Open Link in Private Tab
    Add to Reading List
    copy link
    Bookmark Link​

none of which is what you/I want it to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following screenshot is from Firefox, and it is the same exact popup screen that I got on AdBlock browser. So, I am thinking that most of the browsers are just using the underlying stock browser app with a skin on it to make us think we have a "different browser".

. PDF file Long Press Menu.jpg

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I could always use the stock samsung browser which works the way I want, which is what I'd do if there's no way to do it with chrome. I'd prefer that to using a browser I've never heard before. I just prefer chrome to do it. The only reason I am using Chrome on my phone is I can't sync bookmarks to Samsung browser.

4. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    I've synced my bookmarks Samsung native browser with Titanium and works beautifully, bro..I also keep google chrome which I had to download because it didn't come as a app system also keep Opera Mini..the reason I keep so many browsers is because one does one thing but doesn't do other thing and I've came to realize none of them does all..all of them have their cons..unfortunately..but the best within the worse is goggle chrome even I don't have the full version..

5. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    ..also if you want to stop chrome from opening your pdf files have a primary handler..in my case I have Kingsoft Office (older version)..in that way chrome stops it's thing..

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I already have ezPDF as default pdf file app. Chrome opens it internally via Google PDF reader, which I don't even have installed.

Titanium? I don't remember that having a feature to sync Samsung bookmarks to my PC's Chrome bookmarks.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Found the culprit. Apparently it's Google Drive app. Now to find out how to stop the thing.