1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Stopping Verizon and Googles Prying Eyes...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kingofdarkness, Dec 27, 2011.

1. kingofdarkness

Does anyone know if I can safely freeze (partially or completely) "Data Collection" "Data Manager Services" and "Kpi Logger Service"? Or if there are any other system apps that are intended to record and log my activity? I have no need for their services and don't feel obliged to give carriers the level of access those permissions allow. I would have already done it if I knew it wouldn't cause a system failure or anything of the like... TIA

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. amazinz5

amazinz5 Well-Known Member

Someone needs to test it. I vote all the people that complain constantly about their device. Worst case it works, best case they all brick their phones and are unable to post here anymore, and then they get another device and find out in how many ways the Bionic was superior.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

You're assuming that this is the reason for the existence of these apps in the first palce.

Data Manager sounds suspiciously like the data download manager built into the phone: Settings --> Battery and Data Manager --> Data Saver and Settings --> Battery and Data Manager --> Data delivery. If you use those features, it might be rather pointless to freeze / remove those don't you think?

Data collection - sounds like it is used for the purposes of log files - when an app crashes you have the option (most times) to rend a report, and to include any pertinent data related to the crash.

KPI Logger service - could also be used for things like: Log collection, data collection in the event of a crash....

I would advise that you find out what the purpose of these files really is before you go worrying about whether VZW and / or Google is spying on you or not.

4. kingofdarkness

Sometimes I do tend to assume the worst, but I would always prefer to question everything rather than nothing. Is there an online resource to explain some of these various system apps and/or files intended function? I don't see the benefit of allowing reports to be generated and sent to the carrier or device manufacturer for any forseeable purpose.

When it comes to my personal information, even when it is mundane, I try to always keep it need to know. Third parties and various corporations that I do business with using that access to gather information for anything from marketing and demographical research/statistics to detailed usage reports does not qualify as need to know, IMO.

I was just hoping someone could tell me which apps/files are used for strictly local purposes and which could possibly be generating and sending information w/o my explicit consent.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Unfortunately, no, there is not an online resource that explains everything, because most of these system processes have been set up and defined by Motorola.

There was a big stick a while back about a company that was silently installing and sending call and data quality feedback on our phones, CarrierIQ. People grew into a frenzy as reports came in that it was on our phones, etc. etc., and the masses were scared that "OMG We're being spied upon!"

1) VZW does not use CarrierIQs services.

2) The so-called same icon used by the CarrierIQ files and the KIP logger file in our phones is actually a stock icon in Android Gingerbread when no icon is made for an app.

3) No one could show one iota of data being sent from our phones to VZW for any such purposes.

If you're really worried about spying, you should look to ad companies first - they spy a hell of a lot more than carriers and Google..OK, maybe not Google, but if you want no spying from Google, I'd heartily advise that you leave Android as an operating system....

As for your personal information, they aren't in the business to get those - it's more about services and performance - VZW could give a rat's derriere about your personal data, but they are very very very very very very very interested in whether you're able to get your data whenever you want it or not.

And while I can agree that 3rd parties do not qualify on a need to know basis, the advertising is there for a reason - to garner income. Some sites rely heavily on advertising, some don't necessarily rely on it but still make use of it, and some just have it there to make the masses (aka corporate boards) happy.

it's a part of life - your local Cable company / television broadcasters do it all the time - you subscribe to their service / watch their channel in their area, and you'll often see local advertisements hat supersede the national advertisement being broadcast by the national (parent / affiliate) channel. Demographics are always taken into account - if you think your credit card companies, banks, etc. are not releasing anonymous demographic information every time you make a purchase or payment, you're sadly mistaken. Demographics, however, is not only for advertising - it's also used heavily in market research, which can be anything from product analysis to new product development to increasing market presence to so many other things.

Now, playing devil's advocate to what I just wrote (and this is how I really feel) I don't like seeing the advertisements on my screen b/c it's already small as it is - but I can't do a whole lot about it, b/c some of these ads are also supporting developers that make some really great apps, and some of them do not have a way to remove the advertising via a donation link and / or paid version of the app. So, while I hate ads, I also respect my devs and keep them on so they can make a little income off of my use of their blood sweat and tears. Once I find a way to selectively block ads in web pages and the like without blocking ads in dev apps, I'll be a lot happier.

Finally, a parting note: The only way to stay off the grid is to completely go without technology - anytime you connect to the internet, any time you're using your phone, any time you use a credit card, bank card, check, etc. - you're on the grid.

SNeitzel and WA_Bob like this.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Member

I don't like privacy invasions either but anonymous location collection seems to be something Google insists on. You can check to.disable, but then stuff doesn't work, so we're in a bit of a box there.

The worst potential privacy invasions come in the form of many apps from the Market. Pay close attention to the permissions each app reqests you give it. Some should be illegal IMO but Google seems in no hurry to police that.

I use an app called LBE Privacy Guard. This lets you disable any and all permissions. Be careful because if you disable to much the app may not work. If you have a weather app, you have to let it access your location if you want a forecast. On the other hand a silly Bubble. Break game has no reason to need sccess to everything on the phone either.

kingofdarkness likes this.
  7. kingofdarkness

I an currently running Kinetx and since I posted this thread I have frozen "data collection" "data collector service" "datacollectorprovider" "device statistics services" and "kpi logger service"
    After freezing them I had no catastrophic system failure or anything of that nature. The only thing I've noticed is sometimes when I open my Yahoo mail some com.motorola.system process fc's but has no visible effect beyond the pop up declaring that it's ceased to work.
    I don't know for sure what the particular apps I froze do but I have had no problems freezing them and don't feel like my info is quite so vulnerable now.
    The next time that process fc's I'll record exactly what it is. I have been unable to locate it, otherwise I was going to freeze it also to stop the annoying pop ups.
    As always, anything you do is at your own risk and always freeze never remove :)

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews