• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Stopping Video within SwipeView

gazzieh

Aug 21, 2013
Partly putting this up because it will eventually help others looking for a solution but also because I have no solution yet.

I have an app that uses SwipeView. 4 pages in all, each page with some text and a video (different on each page).

Currently you can click on a video then swipe to the next page and click on the next video whilst the other still plays. You could potentially have all 4 videos playing at the same time.

How can I stop a video playing once the page it is on is not the one with the SwipeView focus?

It does indeed but there is a strange reaction to this. Page 1 to Page 2 works fine and Pages 3 and 4 appear fine but Page 2 to Page 1 and the video continues.

Also, some of the videos take several taps to begin playing again!

I missed the code first time I submitted this so:

[HIGH]@Override
public void onTabUnselected(ActionBar.Tab tab, FragmentTransaction fragmentTransaction)
{
VideoView videoView = (VideoView) findViewById(R.id.vidView);
if (videoView.isPlaying()) {videoView.stopPlayback();}
}[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
A semi-workaround was to replace the .stopPlayback() with a .pause() and a .seek(0).

Now all the videos play and the videos either stop when I swipe to another page or they stop when I swipe and then return. Not ideal but since time is now almost gone this will work for deployment and then I can update it later (this is a single tablet app so not sending it out to anything or anyone else).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones