• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Storage issues

syi

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011
oregon
So I've pretty much maxed my internal with apps, game data, music and what have you. But for some reason very few apps can access my external SD. What's up with that? I've also not really been angle to find my nandroids while file browsing. Can find my old ones for the og evo

The phone by default stores everything in the internal partition storage.
As far as I know right now there isn't a a2sd for us yet. If there is I missed the boat on it. LOL
You can set the camera to save photos to the SD card. Open the camera and hit the settings gear / storage and select storage card.

Your nandroids are being saved to your internal partition. Look under: TWRP / Backups / HT25CS403151
Your backups "should" be in there. :)

As far as the space issues, I'd clear out a lot of app data, clear out the app caches, ETC. Even delete apps you don't use as much.
Crushing the internal storage on this thing is a feat, and I salute you on a momentous achievement. :D

Upvote 0
Sounds fabulous. Does it solve the not being able to navigate the folders problem? Like any app I have that navigates can't really use my extsd

I can't speak for every app.

Apps tend to look in /sdcard - and that's just a shortcut to the actual storage (and standard Android). The mod rearranges where the shortcuts point.

What app won't navigate now, for example?

Upvote 0
Hey all,

So i went to save a pic a friend sent me via txt and to my complete surprise my phone said the phone storage was too full. I can't understand why. I really don't have any apps. No music. Everything is on my 16gb sd card. What can I do to fix this?

I have NO idea where I could have 9gb tied up. I am stumped.

All of my apps on "phone storage" show 0.00B.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351395586103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351395586103.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
Hey all,

So i went to save a pic a friend sent me via txt and to my complete surprise my phone said the phone storage was too full. I can't understand why. I really don't have any apps. No music. Everything is on my 16gb sd card. What can I do to fix this?

I have NO idea where I could have 9gb tied up. I am stumped.

All of my apps on "phone storage" show 0.00B.

Can you open up an app like titanium backup and take a screen shot of the main page at the bottom where it shows your phone storage?

Edit: like this

6egerupe.jpg

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
You're internal SD card looks pretty full, and that's where its going to save any photos or anything like that.

I'd suggest either using a file explorer app or plugging the phone into the computer to see what's taking up so much room on your internal SD card

It could be nandroids. I usually keep only 1 or 2 on the card and delete the old ones as I make new

Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed the nands were taking up some good space. Also all the roms maybe? I'm going to order a 32 gig this weekend.

But does that explain the phone storage being full?

I guess if I have all my nands saved in "internal storage" that would be the phone's storage.. I can't remember where I put them. I'm going to take a look when I have a chance. Anything else you think might be hogging memory?

I'm bracing for hurricane sandy now. Remember, I'm in ocean city, NJ. Not good. Here's hoping I'm still above water with a roof over my head this time tomorrow! :D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed the nands were taking up some good space. Also all the roms maybe? I'm going to order a 32 gig this weekend.

But does that explain the phone storage being full?

I guess if I have all my nands saved in "internal storage" that would be the phone's storage.. I can't remember where I put them. I'm going to take a look when I have a chance. Anything else you think might be hogging memory?

I'm bracing for hurricane sandy now. Remember, I'm in ocean city, NJ. Not good. Here's hoping I'm still above water with a roof over my head this time tomorrow! :D

Its your internal SD card that's full, not your external SD card that can be replaced. Its kind of confusing at first that our phones have 2 sd cards. Simply delete some things off of it or move some of it to the external card

Your phone has plenty of space, as does the external card. Its trying to put your picture on the full internal card

Upvote 0
Its your internal SD card that's full, not your external SD card that can be replaced. Its kind of confusing at first that our phones have 2 sd cards. Simply delete some things off of it or move some of it to the external card

Your phone has plenty of space, as does the external card. Its trying to put your picture on the full internal card

So what kind of things would be on my internal card? I have moved just about all my apps and pictures to the sd card. I don't have any music or extensive, videos on it.

Upvote 0
So what kind of things would be on my internal card? I have moved just about all my apps and pictures to the sd card. I don't have any music or extensive, videos on it.

Well you can navigate to either cards using either a file explorer or your computer via USB.

I'm nandroiding back to a sense ROM right now so I can try to show you some images as they should show up.

Upvote 0
Apparently I deleted all of my sense backups and no longer have a sense ROM on my cards :thinking:

Basically when you plug your computer in via usb in media link mode it should bring up both cards. SD 0 is your internal card, and SD1 is the external card.

You can also navigate to these with any file explorer and delete things as you feel required. Delete any old ROMs, kernels, nandroids ect

Your nandroids will be in a folder titled TWRP and will be a few folders deep

Upvote 0
I dont get it... its nothing but empty folders. I mean a few things but nothing that justifies 9 GB of space...

I have 3 nandroids and they are all on the external card...

I deleted about 50 songs off of the external card yesterday and ididnt gain much space it seems like alot of it is lost by some unknown thing. lol I even went and deleted the roms out of there i wasnt using really cleaned it out and still 9gb phone storage gone. Could this be a bug in meanrom? Ive never had a phone that's storage filled. I take pictures the occasional video. I dont have music on it or anything. Just stumped right now.

Upvote 0
Using EStrongs File Explorer, look through /sdcard - you have more than empty folders there, promise. ;)

ill take a look, im scared to just start deleting things i dont want to break anything. A nand wont help me there atlease i dont think. haha

I just find it wierd because i dont have many apps. A couple small non intensive games, no music... hmm..

Upvote 0
ill take a look, im scared to just start deleting things i dont want to break anything. A nand wont help me there atlease i dont think. haha

I just find it wierd because i dont have many apps. A couple small non intensive games, no music... hmm..

You won't break anything on the phone from deleting things on the SD card. You can back it all up to your computer and wipe it clean if you wish

Upvote 0
You won't break anything on the phone from deleting things on the SD card. You can back it all up to your computer and wipe it clean if you wish

That is an awesome idea.

gy3ada6e.jpg

SD card is your interal SD card
SDcard2 is your external.

On your internal SD card...
DCIM is where pictures are stored
TWRP are where your nandroids are
Also check the downloads folder

Can also check the folder properties to see how large they are. That might help you narrow it down

Thank you.. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones