• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Storage Performance

D

Deleted User

I have an odd question about phone storage.

I have heard, that Solid State Drives (SSD) in computers slow down over time. When many programs and files are installed, uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled (and so on) SSDs apparently slow down, also when they are empty.

I may be wrong, thats just what someone once told me.

Are phones also affected by this? Does the storage slow down the more you use it?

(I don't mean slower the fuller the storage gets)

I want to know, because I'm considering a Dual-Sim, but the S9+ only has the hybrid-thing where you either have 2 sim cards or additional storage. Would that affect the phone perfomance over time.

I have an odd question about phone storage.

I have heard, that Solid State Drives (SSD) in computers slow down over time
. When many programs and files are installed, uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled (and so on) SSDs apparently slow down, also when they are empty.

I may be wrong, thats just what someone once told me.

Are phones also affected by this? Does the storage slow down the more you use it?

(I don't mean slower the fuller the storage gets)

It was a problem in the early days apparently, and I believe phones were affected as well. But just about all modern computers(that use SSD) and phones, etc. have something called TRIM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

Wear might be a problem with solid state storage though, as flash memory can only be written to a finite number of times, and it does literally wear out eventually. One reason why you should never try to defrag an SSD. And OSs(like Windows) that use temporary swap-files that are frequently re-written, must be aware of this as well.

I want to know, because I'm considering a Dual-Sim, but the S9+ only has the hybrid-thing where you either have 2 sim cards or additional storage. Would that affect the phone perfomance over time.

I don't think so. A dual-SIM phone with a hybrid SIM2 slot uses a micro-SD in exactly the same way as a single-SIM phone, or you just use internal storage and have two SIMs instead. With Samsung phones though, you can't utilize the micro-SD as adoptive internal storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones