1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Storage space clean up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jackroo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jackroo

jackroo Android Enthusiast

I've tried Googling ways to clean up my internal storage on my S3. I don't have an SD card. It shows I have a little over 7.5gb of space but I don't have that much on the phone. I'm rooted running a custom ROM, I've deleted all previous downloaded ROMs, I have minimal apps, pics and music on it. Is there any way I can clean up the "0" file on my phone without screwing it up? I also tried using cleaning apps but they did minimal cleaning.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

The phone comes in various configurations. If yours is 16GB, the OS is taking up about half - and that's normal. Music eats quite a bit. ("Minimal music" could be 5GB.) Videos take even more.

jackroo likes this.
  3. jackroo

Thank you. Wasn't sure how much it took up. Mine is 16gb. So I guess the 7.5gb is accurate.

4. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

Well, not quite. You should have around 10GB available for user installed apps (not system apps), personal files and folders etc.

If you haven't then your migration from a 4.1.2 ROM to 4.3 will have duplicated directories and files. The only way to correct this is to completely erase your internal memory and flash your ROM again.

The way to do it correctly is to wipe cache, dalvik, data, system and SD card - BEWARE! this will wipe everything, so you should copy all your data which isn't sync to Google or Samsung servers to your PC (drag and drop) and after the restore take the reverse action.

Not only will you end up with the correct free space but you'll also have a much more trouble free installation.

jackroo likes this.
  5. jackroo

See I've gone from 4.1.2 to 4.3 ROMs. So if I back up my stuff to dropbox then I can safely wipe my SD card and go from there? Any additional steps involved? Thanks

6. jackroo

I don't have a computer though. Is there any way I can do all this without a computer?

7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

What i did a couple of weeks ago was move everything i want to keep to external sd then blitzed the phone with a factory reset (in the phones settings, not in recovery) then restored everything but since you dont have an SD card its gona be harder mate.
    Its definately easier to keep what you do want and wipe the rest than to wipe what you dont want and keep the rest (if that makes sense lol)

jackroo likes this.
  8. jackroo

Yeah I read your post on how you freed up space mate. I'll have a computer next week so at that time I can back up stuff and then reset/restore it. Guess I'll wait till then. How's your phone since you reset it? Faster?

9. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Its hard to tell mate. I hadnt noticed it getting slow but i was getting memory warnings. I wiped it around the same time i flashed Kitkat which speeds the phone up drasticly so im not sure.
    Low memory shouldnt really slow down the s3 but maybe it does. Feels good to clear out all the rubbish though :)

10. jackroo

I was running KitKat and I noticed the increase in speed. Like you said its good to just clear out rubbish! :thumbup:

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews