• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Storage?

Z

zdragon

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot or it has been talked about before else where.

First off the HTC Droid Incredible is my first smart phone. I came from a Samsung A-737 feature phone on AT&T. Huge jump:D . I will always have a smart phone now lol. No going back once one is in your hands. It's so amazing!

Since having mine for about 6+ months now I believe I know it inside and out. However the storage I just don't understand at all. As you probably all know it has three different types. SD, Internal phone storage, and Phone memory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the device came with 8GB internal and I know I have a 4GB SD in it. Though it shows 6.46GB Internal and 3.69 on the SD. What I think confuses me the most is the 748MB under phone memory.

I take very few pictures even though the camera is superb on this device. I was shocked to find out that a PHONE actually had a better lens then my 5MP camera. Though my camera is getting old I guess ;). I almost have no music. Besides maybe 5 of the free songs from the Amazon daily deal in there MP3 app. So I'm guessing that all of my data is my apps and what ever files go along with them.

My question is what is the difference in the three storage spots and where does various data go? It scares me that the "Phone memory" is going down so fast, while the other two doesn't seem to move very much at all. It's already at 437MB! Or should I not be worried about that number? Any explanations, tips, or advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance ;)

"phone memory" is your apps. Phone storage is where you can save whatever you want (photos, music movies etc.) You can have the camera save to either the phone storage or sd card. Sd storage does the same thing except some apps can be stored on the sd card. And some apps use the sd card to store data.

Edit: even though you have a 4GB sd card, not all of that space can be used, just like the 8GB internal storage. And part of that 8GB is partitioned for the OS and saving apps.

Upvote 0
Phone Memory all depends on how many apps you have, and what type of apps they are. I have 536mb available, and I've got 71 apps installed according to appbrain.

Granted, my ROM removed a bunch of the VZW bloatware, so that could have something to do with my lower number.

I wouldn't worry about this - I highly doubt you'll have an issue with running out of memory.

Upvote 0
I've had the low app space warning in the notification bar at the top. I've deleted a lot of apps but no change. After reading your post I have figured out that the issue is with phone storage. I keep my music,photos,videos and as many apps as I can on the SD card. Is there a way to look and see want is taking up so much space in the phone storage? I have astro but I can't seem to find the issue.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. After reading what y'all wrote and looking at it again. It makes perfect sense. I don't know why I was making that so hard to understand :D

I wish that this was happening to me when I wrote that yesterday. Regardless the "Low on Space" notification has popped up on my phone in the last hour. There is no clear button to get it to go away. My storage space is about the same as when I wrote this.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to look and see want is taking up so much space in the phone storage?

I called Verizon earlier this morning about this problem and the dude told me that I was actually running to many apps. Using to much memory(RAM) is the reason for the low memory warning. Since then I downloaded "Advanced Task Killer" and it does seem to take care of the problem. Most of the apps auto restart after killing them. But it has seemed to help me. Check it out.

Can anyone tell me how to read the "Running services" color code at the bottom in the settings? It's like got Other: 55MB in 4 Avail: 122MB+146MB in 18. Doesn't make any since to me. I do know, well at least I think, it is dealing with RAM.

Upvote 0
I called Verizon earlier this morning about this problem and the dude told me that I was actually running to many apps. Using to much memory(RAM) is the reason for the low memory warning. Since then I downloaded "Advanced Task Killer" and it does seem to take care of the problem. Most of the apps auto restart after killing them. But it has seemed to help me. Check it out.

Can anyone tell me how to read the "Running services" color code at the bottom in the settings? It's like got Other: 55MB in 4 Avail: 122MB+146MB in 18. Doesn't make any since to me. I do know, well at least I think, it is dealing with RAM.
Verizon reps have NO idea what they are taking about, GET RID OF THE TASK KILLER. Low on space had nothing to do with ram

Upvote 0
I've had the low app space warning in the notification bar at the top. I've deleted a lot of apps but no change. After reading your post I have figured out that the issue is with phone storage. I keep my music,photos,videos and as many apps as I can on the SD card. Is there a way to look and see want is taking up so much space in the phone storage? I have astro but I can't seem to find the issue.

Any help would be great, thanks!

LOW ON SPACE warnings usually come from using the native HTC MAIL program on many Incredibles. Happened to me twice. Hard resets. Finally dumped HTC MAIL in favor of getting my pop accounts through the K9 Mail app. Saw that solution elsewhere on this forum...and has worked for quite a while for me...so far, so good!

Upvote 0
LOW ON SPACE warnings usually come from using the native HTC MAIL program on many Incredibles. Happened to me twice. Hard resets. Finally dumped HTC MAIL in favor of getting my pop accounts through the K9 Mail app. Saw that solution elsewhere on this forum...and has worked for quite a while for me...so far, so good!

I use gmail. Never have even set up the native email client.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones