1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Storing contacts online only

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Drang2, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Drang2

Drang2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Operations Analyst at RBS Americas
    Utah
    I have done some extensive research, but haven't been able to find an aswer. I have and HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2.3. I have a gmail acct and Google Voice. I have synced my contacts with my gmail/voice acct(s) and backed them up to my sd card. This is great when I am using my computer. But, I continually have to remove large amounts of data in order to get new apps, as my contacts storage data takes up over 25 mb of space (I have transferred all possible apps to sd card, as well).

My question is: Can I remove all my phone contacts and still be able to access all of them, so as to leave precious space on my harddrive.

Advertisement

2. Drang2

Drang2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Operations Analyst at RBS Americas
    Utah
    I have done some extensive research, but haven't been able to find an aswer. I have and HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2.3. I have a gmail acct and Google Voice. I have synced my contacts with my gmail/voice acct(s) and backed them up to my sd card. This is great when I am using my computer. But, I continually have to remove large amounts of data in order to get new apps, as my contacts storage data takes up over 25 mb of space (I have transferred all possible apps to sd card, as well).

My question is: Can I remove all my phone contacts and still be able to access all of them, so as to leave precious space on my harddrive.

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    first of all i moved you to the support and troubling section.

unfortunately that will not work. all of your contacts will be saved in google cloud, yes that is true. but it is also saved on your phone as well. so if you wipe your contacts then you will have to resync to google each time you want access to them.

have you considered rooting your phone? it is pretty easy to do and you can then partition your card. what you did when you moved your apps to the sd card was only move part of the app. the rest is still on your phone. but by partitioning your card you can actually move the entire app to the card. you can even move your cache to the card which would also free even more space. i had over 150 apps and all of them was on my 16g class 10 card!!!

also some roms that you can flash are small compared to sense.

but that is up to you.

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    I have to agree with Ocn here the best way to solve your issue is to Root the Phone. Many of the ROMS out there are way better than stock. Also you will have the opportunity to Use DT a2sd which moves the apps to sdcard instead of apps2sd which only moves data.

Also you can achieve much better battery life with a custom Kernel.

At moment I have around 150 downloaded apps and I have plenty of internal memory left. Also if you need any help rooting there is a community of support in the "All Root Section" that will be more than glad and willing to help.

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: