1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Storing large game files to the Cloud to save Storage Space Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IHaveAnAndriod, Oct 13, 2014.

1. IHaveAnAndriod

IHaveAnAndriod Well-Known Member

Hi everyone I hope everyone is enjoying their Monday. I came across a problem with my Nexus 5 I realize I have only 16 gigabytes what does storage space. I want to be able to play games like grand theft auto and Need for Speed Most Wanted it. But only have 16 gigabytes of space. I'm wondering if I can backup my OBB files of the game to a cloud storage system, while keeping the apk on my phone. When I need the files just get them from the cloud and put them in the obb folder then play the game.

I noticed grand theft auto has 1.4 GB of game files. When I had my hard drive I will transfer the files to the hard drive and then when I needed it I would transfer them back to the phone. I was wondering if I could do this with the cloud. That way I can do this when to go without needing my hard drive . Should I upload them to Google Drive or what should I do.

I know not having the files on the phone when not in use saves a lot of storage space. I can get the files from the cloud when I need them at anytime because I have unlimited data. The only problem would be the time it takes to download the files.

I'm thinking about doing this, but I wanted to ask the community what their thoughts were in this matter. Do u think this would be a good fit for me. Or is there a app that I should use to do this. I thought this would be vest since I did it with my hardrive before. I know the transfer rate would be different than it would be on my hardrive seeing as though i am pulling the files from online. Please a leave your opinions and feedback. I would love to hear it!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

I'd try it and see how it works out for you, it's not going to break anything.

Aside from the messing about and maybe the potential time it takes I see no real issue.

3. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

xdrc45 likes this.
  4. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

I have to agree with Incakola on this one... I think using USB OTG (On The Go) would be your best bet and the transfer rate would be much faster and easier to use than a cloud based storage. You can use anything from a micro SD card reader, USB thumb drive and or and hard drive to to upload and download the files at a much faster transfer rate and would be much better and easier... Then having to rely on a cloud based service/storage and dealing with slow transferand paused transfer rates on the lager GB games.

You can use an app like Stick Mount to mount the USB OTG cable - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

Then use a USB OTG cable like this to mount to the N5 to transfer files/data back a forth to the device - https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-google&sboxchip=Shopping&biw=412&bih=248&tbm=shop&ei=24U9VKqyF4PmsASvo4LICA&q=nexus+5+usb+otg+cable&oq=nexus+5+usb+otg+cable&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...14386.17672.0.18882.8.8.0.0.0.2.793.1796.2j4j1j6-1.8.0.msedrc...0...1c.1.55.mobile-gws-serp..8.0.0.lZoMZtcU1DU#spd=18274861519133018096

Simple and easy... Probably easier than using a cloud based storage.... Plus you could still use a cloud based storage to save the files as well... In the event that you didn't have the OTG cable and card reader with you.

Incakola likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

xdrc45 likes this.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews