1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Storing Precached Google maps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by athegn, May 8, 2012.

1. athegn

athegn Android Enthusiast

May 26, 2010
    Because I am often in an area that has little or no signal I find that precached Google Maps very useful. What I don't find useful is the 30 day limit before the map(s) is deleted from my phone.

Is there a way that I could store the precached map on my Sd card permanently and then bring that up in the Google Maps app; I understand the "risks" of having an out of date map?

Advertisement

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Google want you to have up to date maps all the time. There are other map apps that will do what you want though.

3. mdroid67

mdroid67 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2012
    Navit and openstreetmaps, you can draw a box around what section of the map you want and save it to a .bin file that Navit will read. It of course have their own drawbacks, poor address search even when connected is a biggie for me. I end up entering in the destination coordinates into the bookmark file manually...then the worry of being connected to get the coordinates from google maps.

4. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    You can just purchase an offline map app, like CoPilot Live USA. (I use it and it works really well.) It stores the maps on the SD card. Also, they update the maps every month and its free. (You have to go and check for the updates though, within the app.)