• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk & ATT problems

Cotys

Lurker
Dec 16, 2010
I've had Straight Talk / AT&T for a while. I've noticed recently when 120 miles from home, I had no data. BUT family with an AT&T contract phone had 4G!

As I've been looking around, I see Straight Talk and AT&T had a falling out and ST no longer offers AT&T sims. It seems that ST is now a 2nd class citizen for AT&T.

I've even noticed my data rates and connectivity has dropped when in the Dallas, Plano & Frisco area.

Anyone else seeing this?

We just got hspa where I live after always having edge so it's actually faster for me at home now. I guess I'll find out how roaming coverage is when we travel but up to 2 hours from home it seems to be fine. For vacation I'll probably do the same thing I did last time and activate my VM phone for the trip so that I have a better choice of signal. When we went on vacation last year, I was able to get a better data signal with the VM phone than my ST phone.

Upvote 0
I saw the same exact issue that you are experiencing. All of a sudden after a little over a year with them, my data started to struggle big time with outages here and there.
Like he said, it is a waste of time trying to talk to ST. No one seems to know or care to know?
I have recently switched to the new GoPhone plan that allows you to BYOD and actually sets a limit of 2gb of data instead of the unknown limits that ST has.
GoPhone actually lets you experience LTE with this plan also. I buy refills online for 10% off all the time. Makes my $60 plan cost only $54 versus ST that was $48.02. No taxes or shipping with GoPhone refills that I use. As you can see, $6.00 a month more but when you call customer service, while not 100%, at least they answer the darn phone and I do not have to worry about loosing my phone number all the time....lol.
I happen to live in an area that has terrible LTE coverage and my S3 battery kept going done because the phone was constantly looking for a LTE signal. Changed the phone to accept 4G HSAP+ only and all works very well now. HSPA+ is more than fast enough for me :)
Sorry for the long response.................any questions please ask :)

Upvote 0
Why is at&t so mad about this if they are offering a similar plan. Are they just not getting as munch money through their deal with straight talk?

If you can get an answer to that question you will do well :)

Who knows...................I think it is 100% greed...................if they do the same thing themselves and charge you a few extra dollars...........who wins?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones