1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Straight Talk & ATT problems

Discussion in 'Straight Talk' started by Cotys, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Cotys

Cotys Lurker

I've had Straight Talk / AT&T for a while. I've noticed recently when 120 miles from home, I had no data. BUT family with an AT&T contract phone had 4G!

As I've been looking around, I see Straight Talk and AT&T had a falling out and ST no longer offers AT&T sims. It seems that ST is now a 2nd class citizen for AT&T.

I've even noticed my data rates and connectivity has dropped when in the Dallas, Plano & Frisco area.

Anyone else seeing this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. oldnoob2

oldnoob2 Member

Apparently the roaming on ST AT&T isn't what it used to be. I've seen on other forums where you mostly loose data when teaveling outside of native AT&T coverage. Don't bother with ST support, they say they only guarantee coverage in the activation zip code.

3. gale65

gale65 Android Enthusiast

We just got hspa where I live after always having edge so it's actually faster for me at home now. I guess I'll find out how roaming coverage is when we travel but up to 2 hours from home it seems to be fine. For vacation I'll probably do the same thing I did last time and activate my VM phone for the trip so that I have a better choice of signal. When we went on vacation last year, I was able to get a better data signal with the VM phone than my ST phone.

4. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

I saw the same exact issue that you are experiencing. All of a sudden after a little over a year with them, my data started to struggle big time with outages here and there.
    Like he said, it is a waste of time trying to talk to ST. No one seems to know or care to know?
    I have recently switched to the new GoPhone plan that allows you to BYOD and actually sets a limit of 2gb of data instead of the unknown limits that ST has.
    GoPhone actually lets you experience LTE with this plan also. I buy refills online for 10% off all the time. Makes my $60 plan cost only $54 versus ST that was $48.02. No taxes or shipping with GoPhone refills that I use. As you can see, $6.00 a month more but when you call customer service, while not 100%, at least they answer the darn phone and I do not have to worry about loosing my phone number all the time....lol.
    I happen to live in an area that has terrible LTE coverage and my S3 battery kept going done because the phone was constantly looking for a LTE signal. Changed the phone to accept 4G HSAP+ only and all works very well now. HSPA+ is more than fast enough for me :)
    Sorry for the long response.................any questions please ask :)

5. Soccer24

Soccer24 Lurker

Why is at&t so mad about this if they are offering a similar plan. Are they just not getting as munch money through their deal with straight talk?

6. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

If you can get an answer to that question you will do well :)

Who knows...................I think it is 100% greed...................if they do the same thing themselves and charge you a few extra dollars...........who wins?