1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Straight Talk Nexus 5 - $45/mo. BYOP AMAZING (15 year Verizon customer)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edhgreatone, Jan 8, 2014.

1. edhgreatone

edhgreatone Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    Like the title says have been with Verizon on same # for 15 years... Dying for the nexus 5 and not waiting around for Verizon and Google to stop acting like immature babies so I decided to get the nexus 5 and test it out a month before jumping ship from 15 years loyal Verizon customer. Why not only $45 to test it anyway unlimited everything until 2.5gb data.

ST gave me a new number since I didn't want to deactivate my Verizon line without testing it out. Its been nearly a month now and am floored with ST's coverage. Don't get me wrong their customer service are a bunch of morons and don't compare to Verizon's but there actual speed of their LTE network... Wow. Was very hesitant to leave Verizon although they can be aholes I've been with them so long its not an easy choice.

What I love:
    -network coverage
    -network speed (see images) speed test 10mb downloads on ST vs Verizon LTE pulling 3mb
    -monthly cost --- Verizon $100/mo 2 year contract compared to ST $45/mo... Why didn't I switch earlier?!?
    -any phone I want I can activate on ST compared to Verizons power trip

What I don't like:
    -customer service huge language barrier and huge lack of knowledge in staff
    -phone insurance doesn't exist for BYOP
    -misperception but almost have that "ashamed" feeling since most prepaid plans have they negative reputation

Now that I've heard of tmobile 's $30/mo at 5gb thinking about giving that a try since Verizon wants to screw me with $220 ETF... anybody ever been on both T-Mobile and ST for a comparison input would be helpful???

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    *YMMV

I stopped using ST ATT for coverage reasons, data throttling, and poor customer service. The data throttling was the worst, as they wouldn't fess up to it and speeds crawled around ~3KB/s with full reception. Data speeds were normal after a customer service call mid-month and after a renewal, but each time lasted for something like 100MB before slowing to less than 56k speeds.

I persuaded 2 family members to go to ST ATT because they have better coverage in their area, however 1 number failed to port from Sprint. It's been about 2 weeks and they're currently waiting for a 3rd sim trying to get it activated.

3. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    That was my experience with Aio wireless. I'm convinced gsm is a better technology I will never go CDMA again.

4. edhgreatone

edhgreatone Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    Yikes --- I tend to float around 1.5 - 2 GB per month so never hit ant throttle issues with speed.

Couldn't agree more googling things get you answers quickier than their customer service on the phone...

But then again where else can you get this monthly price and speed... Overheard would have to be cut somewhere and I'd rather take a hit to customer service than network speed etc... You know?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    I've been with sprint for a long time... just kind of get used to not being able to stream music at all unless you're near a wifi spot...

Switched off of them to T-Mobile. Yes, I don't get as good service inside our military barracks buildings (concrete and steel and what have you), but everywhere else is infinitely better.
    No longer do I timeout issues on Google maps (you read that right), no longer do I absolutely have to have any music I want to listen to directly stored on my phone, etc.

I never thought in my life, that I'd say T-Mobile is better in just about every way than Sprint. I got a phone I want, no contact, $20 cut from my monthly bill, faster speeds, no limit to the land line minutes I can use, free international calls when I'm on deployment, the list just goes on and on.
    Hell, they even ate the $100 ETF fee I had remaining with Sprint.

So far so good, aside from switching to 3g whenever I'm in my barracks.

6. bogaski

bogaski Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Long time Verizon. Switched for N5 and fact they had only average coverage here. Yes, the customer service is laughable with ST. However, I have been super pleased with my coverage and service on ST. Saving a ton.

7. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    From what I've heard, ST will throttle you if you attempt to stream "anything" like netflix or a big download. I've got my eyes on the 32G Nexus 5 but I'm still in the process of figuring out where to go if I get it.

At CES T-Mobile announced they'll cover anyone's ETF[up to $350] if they switch over to T-Mobile. This is only if you join their post pay, not their pre paid, which the $30 plan falls under.

Switch Carriers without Early Termination Fees | T-Mobile

8. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Having been a Gophone service user since 2009, I don't mind paying $15 more for 2GB on AT&T. The Gophone unit doesn't care how I use that data (hot spot tethering, streaming, whatever), if I use up my data (I never do) I can add 1GB more at $10, I never have to fool around with apns and I get real customer service. When I first got my N5 I couldn't get LTE, just H+. When a free new SIM and provisioning didn't solve it, they probed the towers around me and took some logs off my phone. Less than 24 hours later I had LTE.

Sure, I don't need CS very often, but when I do, I usually really need it to work.

YMMV, but I'm very happy and saving $15 doesn't motivate me to move. ;)

Tags: