• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk super slow data speeds.

sounreal

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2011
Belleville, IL
I have a Motorola Atrix 2, I got a unlock code from eBay seller unlockliberty for $3.45 eBay My World - unlockliberty

I also got the new BYOP package deal that Walmart sells in store. It includes 3 sim cards (1 at&t 1 T-Mobile and 1 micro at&t sim card) and a $45 card all for $59.99. Both At&t cards say that they are also for unlocked phones.

I put activated the micro sim card. Well when I search for networks the only ones that come up are "Home" and "Roam" no at&t and T-Mobile. I never tested roam and my settings are correct yet my data is super slow. Text and calls work just fine. Any advice would be helpful.

ST always shows Home as the network even though it's AT&T. The Atrix is an AT&T phone so you should get at least 3G. Make sure your APN settings are correct and in the network settings it shows HSPA preferred.

If you ported the number over sometimes it takes a day or two for all the configuration changes in the system to take effect. Sometimes the port doesn't finish up like it should and you have to call them to check/refresh the data.

Upvote 0
This is what I did. And I did not port my number just to avoid problems.

Create a new APN with the following values:
APN Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80

Delete the current APN from your phone. Reboot your phone.

After I signed up that's what the website said to do.

Upvote 0
This is what I did. And I did not port my number just to avoid problems.

Create a new APN with the following values:
APN Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80

Delete the current APN from your phone. Reboot your phone.

After I signed up that's what the website said to do.

Recommendations on XDA are to leave Proxy and Port blank. It works for me. I believe the proxy merely allows them to filter your traffic, preventing the use of some apps or services.

Upvote 0
default,suppl,mms
Sorry, my bad, only one p in supl. It should read default,mms,supl If you are still having the issue call the ST BYOD support number at 855-222-2355. Tell them the problem and ask them to check the account configuration and refresh the data.

If the phone support people can't help, start a ticket on their Facebook page, or email ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com Either of those usually produces better results when the phone people can't get things worked out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones