• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk vs Verizon

Shawn81

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
So I'm having nothing but problems with Boost in my town, and it has to do with coverage holes with the Sprint network it's on. I really want to get on Verizon's network on a no contract plan, and I'm curious if anyone knows the differences with getting on the network through Straight Talk vs Verizon.

Is it really the exact same network? Will I get the same coverage and signal and all that through Straight Talk?
I also noticed that on some of the phone boxes at a Straight Talk store, there were two different red (Verizon) coverage maps. They looked almost identical, but one clearly had more dead spots. Are there multiple networks?

I'm basically trying to find out what the drawbacks would be for going through Straight Talk. Their $45 plan vs Verizon's has obvious advantages, such as 5gb data with throttling afterwards versus Verizon's 3gb with a total loss of data afterwards.

Thanks.

That's good. I'm hoping to do the same. I just want to be sure that it really is the same network, and that there are no major disadvantages of going through Straight Talk instead of directly through Verizon, because Verizon's plans seem very expensive and thin. Straight Talk seems almost like a "too good to be true" kind of thing.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I just switched from Virgin Mobile to Straight talk. I bought a brand new, Verizon branded, Galaxy S 7 Edge from best buy. Popped in the nano sim card from straight talk, and everything is good. My phone says it is on the Verizon network (verified through several apps)

I did have some issues switching my number over, but that was due to Virgin Mobile. Apparently your account number is not your phone number, I had to call them and listen their pleas to remain.

Good Luck.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I also noticed that on some of the phone boxes at a Straight Talk store, there were two different red (Verizon) coverage maps. They looked almost identical, but one clearly had more dead spots. Are there multiple networks?

Maybe one phone box was older and had an out of date map on it? Using Straight Talk with Verizon should use all of Verizons towers, but I'm not sure if ST includes roaming which native Verizon will have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones