1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Strange Allowed Device in Nearby Devices

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Noob2829, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Noob2829

Noob2829 Lurker

My husband's Galaxy S7 has an allowed device (to connect to your phone) under the Nearby devices setting. It reads as follows:

Nearby devices
    Allow Linux/2.6.36.4brcmarm+,UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.25 to access your phone?

Under content to share, all boxes are checked, including videos, pictures and music.
    We don't recognize such a device, but it must be nearby? Could someone please tell me what this device may be and where/how to look for it?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Hadron, Sep 28, 2019 (1 points)
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

When I see a linux kernel version, something with "ARM" in it, and a reference to the UPnP Portable SDK, my first thought is an android device. But a web search also turned up a lot of references to routers. What router or other networked devices do you have? Or old android devices (as that kernel version is quite old).

#2 Hadron, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Noob2829

Noob2829 Lurker

We have a Nighthawk R7000. On the network we have 2 Kindle Fire tablets (Fire HD 10 - 7th Generation), one Kindle Fire 7 (2015) and another S7(mine). We also have an Xbox One and a Wii if that matters at all (called myself noob for a reason lol).
    One thing that was odd that may or may not matter - one of the Kindles identified itself in Google Account Manager as an Asus device. Not sure why. We don't have an Asus device.
    Anyway. Thanks for any advice...

5. Hadron

VIP Member

The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 firmware does seem to be based on that particular linux kernel build (or at least some versions of it are), so I think it's quite likely it's the router you are seeing.

Noob2829, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  6. Noob2829

Noob2829 Lurker

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does that mean something is installed on the router to share media files?

7. Noob2829

Noob2829 Lurker

And does it matter that UPnP is not enabled on the router?
    Thanks for all of your input. It is much appreciated.

8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

you should keep your phone visibility turned off. unless you need a device to connect to your phone. i never have mine turned on.

9. Hadron

VIP Member

I think it probably just means that the device is capable of running UPnP, which is primarily used for media sharing.

I've never used UPnP myself, so have no experience of it. Personally unless you have something you want to do that won't work without it I would disable it on the router, as it can be a security hole.

Noob2829 and ocnbrze like this.
  10. Noob2829

Noob2829 Lurker

Thanks very much! Will follow your advice!

ocnbrze likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.