• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange and "unobvious" battey drain

ministry

Lurker
Nov 14, 2014
Hello, I'd like to save my battery so I'm trying to set up Tasker "as Juicedefender": I mean, when display is off data syncronization must be scheduled every 15 minutes or something similar. This should reduce battery using.
So, I've created three profiles:
- EVENT display off: data and autosync are switched OFF
- EVENT display on: data and autosync are switched ON
- TIME EVERY 15 MINUTES: if display is "on" stop script; otherwise turn data and autosync ON for 1 minute, then turn them OFF again

This works, but instead of saving my battery, it increases it's consumption! (from 3% to 6% per hour)

My phone: Samsung Galaxy S2, Jelly Bean 4.1.2, rooted

Is there something I'm missing?

One first suggestion would be adding the "If Display is off" condition to the profile that's triggered every 15 min, rather than doing the test inside the task. That way, if the display is on, the profile is not triggered every 15 min. I know, it's a very small thing and won't make much of a difference.

Another thing you can do is tie your 2 tasks to the same profile, for example the "data and autosync are switched ON" task to be an exit task of the event 'Display Off'. Yet again, another small improvement that probably won't make too much of a difference. Worth a try, and making some measurements, though, if you feel bored. :)

The problem here is that the 1 min of forced syncing every 15 min may as well drain your battery more than keeping your connection on. I've definitely noticed on Lollipop that it's much better to leave the OS alone to deal with this, for example.

Something you can try is changing the 15 min delay to 10, 20 and 30, for example, and compare your findings.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
The problem here is that the 1 min of forced syncing every 15 min may as well drain your battery more than keeping your connection on. I've definitely noticed on Lollipop that it's much better to leave the OS alone to deal with this, for example.

This. Apps (and the OS in general) are getting better and better at scheduling their background data syncs. As WarriusZero mentioned, manually toggling Sync like that is essentially forcing SYNC ALL THE THINGS!; you end up with a lot of things syncing/refreshing WAAY more frequently than they would if left to their own devices.

Honestly, I'm not sure that a profile like yours makes much sense anymore - and this is coming from a guy who previously spent many months experimenting with JuiceDefender and others, as well as tinkering with various Tasker setups to accomplish the same.

If you're having sub-par battery life, your time would probably be better spent diagnosing what might be causing that instead of taking a shotgun approach via Tasker.

Reactions: WarriusZero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones