• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange Battery Issue

Bedroom Eyes

May 10, 2011
Canada
So after having my DHD for a little over a week, I've noticed something weird. My battery has seemed to worsen over the last couple of days. I noticed that my Android System has been using more battery than it used to. I'm not sure why though, I did download a barcode scanner last night, and I put SoundHound app icon on one of my home screens instead of Shazam as well. I'm not sure if either of those could be the culprit.. I'm going to try switching back to the way I had everything before and see if it helps. But my battery, which was lasting about 30 or so hours before I had to charge it is now at around 16 hours.

It's cool, the debugging thing was only really an issue in 2.2.

It could just be one of those things, my battery rarely performs consistently, I can get 36 hours average, but on days where I feel I'm using it about the same as I normally do, I get much less and Vice Versa.

Is it properly calibrated? Has it had at least 3 full charge/discharge cycles or are you just charging as and when?

Upvote 0
I'd mostly charge it around 10-25% but for the next few days, I'm going to try to drain it to zero before I do. I usually just plug it in when I go to bed and then unplug it either in the morning, or if I wake up during the night and see that it's got a green light.

Edit: Is there a proper method for charging? I had read that I should charge it to green, keep it there for 30mins - 1 hour, and then unplug. But if I let it die, and then charge it overnight, it could be at green light for like 5-6 hours while it's off. Is this a bad thing?

Upvote 0
Bizarrely, I'd noticed exactly this problem starting a week or so ago. I did all the usual checks and uninstalls but couldn't understand why Android System had suddenly started consuming so much power. In the end, knowing that Gingerbread was imminent, I decided to wait for the upgrade and then see whether it cleared the problem. The good news is that it did. So, no proper explanation, but upgrade to 2.3 and I suspect you'll find the battery life is better than ever.

Upvote 0
I'm still on 2.2 and the update isn't ready for me yet, so currently, updating is out of the question.

I let my phone die, and went to charge it last night, this was the process:
Let phone die, turn back on and plug in
Let phone charge for ~2.5 hours, with a few texts during
Unplug phone at 11:00PM, send a few texts, go to bed
Woke up at ~3:49, saw battery was at 79%

This seems way too fast of a discharge compared to a week ago. Last week I was at 1d14h and still had about 20% left. That was after a lot of texting, about 20-30mins of calling, some internet, and about 10mins of youtube.. I haven't even touched my phone since about 11:10 last night, and so it drained from 98% to 79% in 5 hours with zero use.

Also, I unchecked the Enable Always-On Data to see if that would help any.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones