1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support strange battery symbol appearing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lorrainep, Jan 2, 2012.

1. lorrainep

lorrainep Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    I recently took my phone away with me and forgot my charger so it consequently ran completely out of battery however before it could run out it began turning itself off as soon as it got down to about 20% battery left. It doesn't normally do this but I thought charging it fully might fix it, I have done that now though and it is still turning itself off occasionally and displaying a grey battery with an exclamation point over it where the battery symbol would normally be every now and then too. I have looked through the manual and this symbol is definitely not there.

Does anyone know what it could mean and how I might be able to fix it?

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    That icon generally means that the battery is not able to communicate with the phone, e.g. to give status/charge information.

Power off the phone, then give the contacts on both the phone and battery, where the phone and battery connect, a rub with something like a clean, dry cloth or a cotton bud - nothing wet!

Reconnect and power on. If it was due to a simple 'dirt' problem with the contacts the icon should now disappear.

If the problem remains, it could be that the battery needs calibrating, in which case you can try this method to recalibrate it.

If this doesn't fix things it could be a faulty battery. Try to borrow one if you can, to see if it is the battery that's at fault, as the phone could also be the cause of the problem.

If you've tried all the battery solutions, you can first try a factory reset to see if that fixes things - you'll lose all your personal data and settings if you do this, so back things up if you need to. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to send the phone in for repair. Don't forget to include the battery if it's the stock one you got with the phone.

Tags: