• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange bedfellows...war stories.

flyjbaker

Android Expert
Oct 17, 2009
We had a 2 hour layover at LAX and we were basically just laying around. One of the flight attendants(female) was totally ghey about Apple. She had a 3gs as well as an iPad and was just going on and on and on about how great they were. Her iPad was not 3g so I put my Evo in tethering mode and told her to look in her networks for my signal. She had no idea what an Evo was much less what the hell I was talking about. But I told her to select "Android Tether" just like she is hooking up to a hotspot...she did and was absolutely baffled...literally speechless. She thought I had performed some sort of magic trick and that some how this could not be happening. I told her to go ahead and surf the web. She got noticeably silent after this and not another peep about Apple....and she certainly did not ask about the Evo...she didn't want to know!!! The captain I was flying with also had an iPhone and was just looking on in silence. After we sat back down in the cockpit, he said, "Let me see that thang!!!"...........

Strange bedfellows that Evo and Ipad......

Awhile back I went to my favorite mexican restaraunt and the place was empty because the weather had been so bad. I was sitting at the bar(alone) with my back to everyone. There was one table of people and appeared to be business types...one lady with a laptop out. She got up and walked over to the bar and asked the bartender if they had wifi. He barely spoke English and had no idea what she was talking about. I think he thought it was some kind of new college drink!!! So I told her to come over for a second and told her to look for "Android Tether" on her network...and again...she was a little baffled. She hooked up and I said she should be good to go and she rejoined her party. It appeared she was trying to show her colleagues something on the interweb because they were all viewing the laptop and I noticed that they were indeed using data. I returned to my margarita and quesadillas. She came up to me about 15 minutes later and asked, "How'd you do that?". I said that it was thru my phone. She wanted to see it and she put it up to the light and examined it quite thoroughly. "What is called?".....An Evo I said....on what network...SPrint.....Wow, I'm gonna get me one of these....and thanked me and rejoined her party.

Now I gotta get rooted and get my tether back dammit....

OP: good stories. I have activated the hotspot on my EVO and its amazing how people are in awe of this phone they are totally unaware of. I never thought that I would use the capability of the EVO's 8 simultanious connections... was thinking 2 would be enough for me. And for me it is. But, my school has a REALLY slow wireless connection. I let my classmates tether their laptops/netbooks off my EVO in class. Its become a regular thing. I guess word has spread, cuz yesterday in class I looked and I had 6 connections at once. I would have disconnedted them all if I wasnt with Sprint (unlimited data) It wow'd me! Love my EVO.. Love Sprint!

anyways... who ya fly for, whats your background? (CFI here)

Upvote 0
Man...you're making me want to root my evo. Not that offering free wifi to iphone owners is enough of a reason, but still...

Cool story

I know right??!!! I have a good friend that is a total "gear queer" and an iPhone fanboy. I hate to call him that because he really isn't all that ghey about it but he does always have the latest apps and shows them off. He still scratches his head on the wireless tether thing we have. He is truly impressed. In fact, when he hooked up his iPhone to my wireless tether, he was amazed at how fast our 3g was....he said he had never seen hi phone run that fast on 3g.

Upvote 0
I know right??!!! I have a good friend that is a total "gear queer" and an iPhone fanboy. I hate to call him that because he really isn't all that ghey about it but he does always have the latest apps and shows them off. He still scratches his head on the wireless tether thing we have. He is truly impressed. In fact, when he hooked up his iPhone to my wireless tether, he was amazed at how fast our 3g was....he said he had never seen hi phone run that fast on 3g.

a year ago.. iphone 3GS had a free wifi tether solution. you had to jailbreak and then use 3rd party app. My friend had it. but I think apple maybe some how blocked that function. Maybe someone will bring it back.

maybe not.. because I read that apple just patented a new way to kill the phone if someone jailbreaks their products.

Upvote 0
Continental soon to be United....767 soon to be 777
Based where? You may know my dad if you're in EWR! Are you left or right seat? This is awesome and I really need to talk to you so you can tell him to not be such an Apple nut swinger as well. I have the EVO and I'm trying SO HARD to keep him on Sprint and to just get the EVO or whatever is out come December.

Upvote 0
We had a 2 hour layover at LAX and we were basically just laying around. One of the flight attendants(female) was totally ghey about Apple. She had a 3gs as well as an iPad and was just going on and on and on about how great they were. Her iPad was not 3g so I put my Evo in tethering mode and told her to look in her networks for my signal. She had no idea what an Evo was much less what the hell I was talking about. But I told her to select "Android Tether" just like she is hooking up to a hotspot...she did and was absolutely baffled...literally speechless. She thought I had performed some sort of magic trick and that some how this could not be happening. I told her to go ahead and surf the web. She got noticeably silent after this and not another peep about Apple....and she certainly did not ask about the Evo...she didn't want to know!!! The captain I was flying with also had an iPhone and was just looking on in silence. After we sat back down in the cockpit, he said, "Let me see that thang!!!"...........

Strange bedfellows that Evo and Ipad......

Awhile back I went to my favorite mexican restaraunt and the place was empty because the weather had been so bad. I was sitting at the bar(alone) with my back to everyone. There was one table of people and appeared to be business types...one lady with a laptop out. She got up and walked over to the bar and asked the bartender if they had wifi. He barely spoke English and had no idea what she was talking about. I think he thought it was some kind of new college drink!!! So I told her to come over for a second and told her to look for "Android Tether" on her network...and again...she was a little baffled. She hooked up and I said she should be good to go and she rejoined her party. It appeared she was trying to show her colleagues something on the interweb because they were all viewing the laptop and I noticed that they were indeed using data. I returned to my margarita and quesadillas. She came up to me about 15 minutes later and asked, "How'd you do that?". I said that it was thru my phone. She wanted to see it and she put it up to the light and examined it quite thoroughly. "What is called?".....An Evo I said....on what network...SPrint.....Wow, I'm gonna get me one of these....and thanked me and rejoined her party.

Now I gotta get rooted and get my tether back dammit....

Enjoyed reading your story mate... Cheers!

Upvote 0
Based where? You may know my dad if you're in EWR! Are you left or right seat? This is awesome and I really need to talk to you so you can tell him to not be such an Apple nut swinger as well. I have the EVO and I'm trying SO HARD to keep him on Sprint and to just get the EVO or whatever is out come December.

Based in IAH...although still my know him...but not likely...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones