• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange beeping noise on phone

Blueblythe

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
Hey! So I've been having a problem with random beeping from my phone. It would be fixed after putting my phone on vibrate. It started after I updated it from version 5 to 7.0 and 7.1. I've been trying to figure out what it was, but I couldn't find any solutions online that worked. It would start beeping whenever I start doing anything on my phone and do it in succession. I even contacted ZTE's customer service to figure out what's going on.

This is what it sounds like:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3gtpafplrnc6s1c/AACtRCh_5pHGPeTbNK8ZCUK7a?dl=0

Weirdly enough, I had the same noise problem on my old phone, the OnePlus. I noticed when I removed the sim card, it stopped making the noise entirely on the OnePlus. I initially thought it was the sim card, but it's freaking out again as I type this post. Does anyone recognize the sound and what it can possibly be?

Update: Just received a replacement model from ZTE via their Advanced Exchange program. I'm even hearing it on this phone. I'm going to go see if it's a sim card-related issue and call my carrier for a new card.
Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forums! :D

Sure is an odd sound I will say. I don't recognize it at all :(

Let us know what becomes of it k?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forums! :D

Sure is an odd sound I will say. I don't recognize it at all :(

Let us know what becomes of it k?

Thanks!
Sorry about the late update for this, there ended up being a few hiccups along the way.

So I just activated my new sim card and put it into the device after another factory reset/cache wipe. So far, I haven't heard anything, but I'm going to hold off downloading any apps until tomorrow.
My sim card itself is actually pretty old (received during the Motorola Razr days) and there's definitely a huge difference between both sim cards. Left is the old, right is the new.

Can't test it on the replacement ZTE sent since I was on a 30-day trial period and sent it back already. :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aaaand I'm hearing the noise again. I've already tried disabling some of the in-built apps (Daydream, email, music browser, cloud print, duo, google tv/movies), and my voice). I've heard 3 beeps since just leaving it on my desk not connected to anything.I haven't downloaded anything yet and haven't even accessed my browser until after the sounds. I'm at a complete loss on what to do next.

EDIT: After having my friend help me look for a solution, I think I maybe found the actual problem.
I've been using a wallet case since it's been super handy, and now I think about it, I started using one on my OnePlus and the sounds definitely did start around that time. He found a video that had the same notification sounds as the ones I'm hearing.

I'll update tomorrow to see if disabling the NFC worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones