1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Strange characters in text messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Helgaiden, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Helgaiden

Helgaiden Member
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    So my girlfriend is having an issue with her phone. I dont see it being an issue with mine but it might be something else. She is receiving non-alpha numeric characters in her text messages. So far shes gotten it from me and one of her other friends...not knowing what to say she called it "caligraphy" haha. Anyways, im on Metro and her friend is on Verizon. Id figure its a CDMA issue but she is on a Samsung Moment on Sprint which is also CDMA so idunno. To me they send fine, but to her some of the texts she receives come in all garbled. Not sure whats going on, anyone got any ideas? Her phone is unrooted, stock, and like a week and a half ago had a factory reset done. Its 2.1 android.

In this screenshot i asked her to forward me the "jibberish." She had tried to do it several times earlier but i never got the messages, this time i got it so heres a screenie for you all.

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    That does not look like the stock SMS program on the Moment. Is she using some 3rd party SMS program?

3. Helgaiden

Helgaiden Member
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    the screenshot was from my phone, she forwarded me the garbled text message like i said.

4. efeatherston

efeatherston Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    My daughter was having the same problem yesterday with her Samsung Moment. Below is the verbatim response I got when I called Sprint about it

"There is currently a nationwide text messaging issue impacting customers using the Samsung Moment device. The messages being received are not able to be read by the customer'

5. Sweet Chaos

Sweet Chaos Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    Student/Retail
    New Jersey
    This was happening to my friend with the Moment as well. I'm glad to have found this post, and will let her know. Thanks for the info.

Samsung Moment

The Samsung Moment was one of the first Android Phones with a slideout keyboard.