1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Strange Internet Access issue

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tjoebgen, Dec 28, 2011.

  1. tjoebgen

    tjoebgen Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    I've been with my Moto Droid (1st version, A853) for 2 years now. I have full internet access with it (regardless of browser app) in 3G, EVDO, and WiFi. At least I always thought I had full access in all 3.

    For Christmas this year, the family got an Android tablet (Archos 101it). It is only WiFi, no service provider network. I launch the browser and it opens to Google -- no problem. I open the bookmarks and select several of the pre-assigned links -- no problem with any of them. I manually type in a couple of addresses -- no problem. I type in the address to my own web site and it refuses to load. The progress bar gets to about 15% and stalls. I try manually typing in the address for several of the other pages on my site, but none of them will load. Sure that I'd eventually find a work-around, I moved on to playing with the rest of the tablet.

    Next morning, just before tinkering with the tablet, I launched my site on my phone (not the tablet) while on WiFi and, as usual, it got the pages with no problem and loaded just fine. The phone had been sluggish the last couple of days though, so I rebooted it. When it came back up (still in WiFi mode), I launched the browser and went to my site and could not access any of my pages. No problem hitting other sites, just not mine. Even after a quick reality check that our PCs and Mac could access these pages (even after a reboot), I was stumped. Now I have TWO devices that can't access my own site. After about an hour of tinkering, I remembered that I was in WiFi mode (and remembering the problems we had a couple years ago with not being able to get email or sms while in WiFi), I toggled back to 3G. Viola! My pages popped right up! I then switched back to WiFi and was able to still access the pages, and see newly updated data. I rebooted in WiFi mode and once again, the problem was there. Toggled to wireless network and, once again, the pages returned.

    This is why my tablet can't connect, because it has only WiFi. It's just strange that it has no problem connecting to all other web sites, just not mine. And strange that all other devices in the house on WiFi have no problem connecting to the site -- only the Android devices can't. I never found out if the iPhones could get the page in either mode.

    My site is not on a local server (not in my house), but on a shared server from a professional hosting company (Stream101.com). I also tried connecting to my main domain, but the results are the same.

    I've contacted the web hosting company, but they haven't heard of this before. The only thing that I can think of is that it's because my pages are on a Shared Server instead of being completely dedicated. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

    Terry
     



    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


      Download

       
  2. bttfiii

    bttfiii Lurker

    Try the following

    Toggle between desktop and mobile under settings
    Use another browser
    Clear cache cookies forms history
     
  3. tjoebgen

    tjoebgen Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    I don't know what you mean by switching from desktop to mobile.
    I installed several browsers during my test.
    The tablet had never been to my site before, and it couldn't connect either.
     
  4. Kie

    Kie Android Expert

    Well if you're using Dolphin you can go into Dolphin Settings and change the User Agent from desktop to mobile there. There's some script you can use for stock browser but I can't remember!
     
  5. UssjTrunks

    UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast

    Same goes for Opera.

    Here is how to change it in the default browser:

    Change the User Agent on an Android Phone

    Anyway, it could be a network issue that is preventing you from opening the site. Try connecting to the site from another network. I'm currently having an issue downloading apps from Get Jar while on my home wifi network. The downloads work fine over 3G and other networks.
     
    tjoebgen likes this.
  6. tjoebgen

    tjoebgen Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    Oh! for the server to know whether you to send you pages formatted for mobile screens or regular. Well, since I don't have any code of that sort written in my sites (yet), I doubt that is the problem (but I'll try it tonight when I get home anyway).
     
  7. jerofld

    jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

    Are your PCs (Windows / Mac) connected via wifi or ethernet? If both are by ethernet, I'd suggest rebooting your router. Actually, resetting the router anyways probably wouldn't hurt.
     
  8. tjoebgen

    tjoebgen Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    some are wired, some are Wifi. immediately after trying to get to my server from the tablet, I tried from the brand new windows netbook that was on WiFi and it connected on the first shot. All other devices (PCs, Mac, etc.) can load the site, but the 2 droid devices can't when on WiFi.
     
  9. jerofld

    jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

    It's got to be something between the wifi settings on the Androids and the router. Like a port setting or port forwarding.
     
  10. tjoebgen

    tjoebgen Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    Well, there is Port Forwarding, but they have nothing to do with the web page I'm trying to hit: MyTjoe2.com
     
Loading...

Share This Page

Loading...