• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange OTA Downgrade?

SamsungVibrant

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Ok there are a few people at XDA Forums claiming they have begun receiving an OTA update notification. Once applied it totally removed JI6 and reverted the phone back to the original stock firmware. Or so they claim. So I guess it is a downgrade update lol.

I don't know if this is a hoax, or what is going on. I think it is best not to apply any OTA you get, just yet. Until people figure out what is going on, and why the downgrade is occurring.

Maybe the phone is preparing for Froyo, downgrading first, in preparation for Froyo, but that makes no sense to me, why wouldn't it just be all done at once.

If you get a strange update, let us know!
I won't be applying any updates as of yet, I like JI6, and until I know why we are being downgraded, I'm not doing anything to my phone.

weird update - xda-developers

[Q] Downgrade? - xda-developers

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsu...te-waiting-in-my-notification-bar/td-p/536912

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsu...last-night-reverted-my-OS-version/td-p/536850

Maybe it has something to do with all of the battery life and lag issues people have been having and the warranty returns because of it..

I would welcome a downgrade.. Then maybe I wouldn't have to carry my charger around with me everywhere I go, always worrying I'm going to run out of juice and not have anything to plug into..

Thank you samsung for making me feel like a junkie.

Upvote 0
I can confirm the "rumor". I recently contacted support (T-Mobile) regarding an update performed via KIES. After getting them to send out a replacement, I discovered the "update" this morning. One thing to note, the "replacement" arrived with JI6 installed. After installing the "update" I found the following changes to indicate a downgrade.

1. Applications removed/changed. Media Hub (changed), HD Video Camera (removed), & Task Manager(removed). There are probably others but for lack of better phrase, it appears they restored the device to the factory version that the devices came with.
2. About Phone, Baseband and Firmware version changed. Baseband is now T959UVJFD & Firmware is 2.1-update1

So at this point I am one of the more disgruntled T-Mobile customers, since prior to getting my replacement, I was informed there was NO WAY they could downgrade my device, to the factory shipped SW version. I will be making a call to Support and demanding why they have untrained staff, because obviously they would have told their CS staff about this pending 'downgrade'.

Downgrade Confirmed!

Upvote 0
I haven't experienced the battery problems people report with JI6. I've owned the VIbrant since its release, I've ran the old firmware and the new one. The new one is far superior. Much better signal, fixed bugs, and improved GPS but still has problems. The battery life is no way worse than before. That is just my experience though.

Upvote 0
I spoke to a 'pda' support rep. who only had to say that the OTA 'downgrade' was initiated by T-Mobile.

He gave me other information, like when the next OTA will be, but I would rather not get everyone's hopes up by giving the date told to me. So instead, I will only confirm that the rep. has stated that T-Mobile did this (OTA downgrade) to address issues with the 'UPDATE' (JI6).

As for me I am back to waiting for an OTA but at least I got a straight answer.

JI6 users out there, you've been warned.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I spoke to a 'pda' support rep. who only had to say that the OTA 'downgrade' was initiated by T-Mobile.

He gave me other information, like when the next OTA will be, but I would rather not get everyone's hopes up by giving the date told to me. So instead, I will only confirm that the rep. has stated that T-Mobile did this (OTA downgrade) to address issues with the 'UPDATE' (JI6).

Cheers

So let me get this straight. T-mobile is knowingly reverting people back to a non-funcitional GPS? LOL, I think it is time T-Mobile allow people to get out of their contract without an ETF. Going onto 4-5 months without a functional GPS on a smarten is NOT acceptable. People need to get off their ass and complain, get out of your damn contract. This is crazy at this point, just crazy.

Without a working GPS you can't navigate, you can't look up places near you such as restaurants, banks, gas stations, etc. The search key is useless, for me the search key is basically to find places near me. GPS is one of the central parts of a smartphone these days.

You all should complain if you haven't already done so.

Downgrading to a broken GPS? Simply BOGUS!

Upvote 0

Cheers

You need to call cancellation department and let them know how utterly unacceptable T-Mobiles behavior is lately.

Upvote 0
i have had bad luck with OTA updates. i seem to never be able to connect to a server after the updates. i just got a new vibrant, haven't had much of a problem until the OTA, besides the GPS... and the new vibrant came with the j16 update already installed. i have yet to see the OTA downgrade, though i am usually connected to wifi and i run Live Home as well, so i shouldn't get the downgrade. however, if i do, and my gps goes to hell, i will through a fit to tmobile. they better have a reason to be downgrading, and i mean the froyo update, with the gps fix on that. if i do get the downgrade, i will only give them one week for another fix, and if i don't get it i will be done with samsung, and probably android altogether. i will go with the htc hd7. i like the wp7 interface, and the fact that i have xboxlive and a zune account, will be nice. i am tired of having all these issues with updates. no phone ever gets the same update. when a new version of android releases, and it's months before most phones see it. and when it does release on other phones, it never runs right. each manufacturer puts their own touches on it, making it a completely different OS in general. nowadays, the only real similarity between the android devices is the market. even then, different phones show different apps/games, even if the app/game is made for all phones. the android is a broken market. sure, it's open source, and i love android, but the fact that it's a broken market is really showing here. if we want customization options, we have them. look at openhome, ahome, live home, panda home, ect... there are new homes being released. new themes, if samsung wants Touchwiz to be a home, put it on the market. leave it up to the customers to download your UI. UI like samsung's touchwiz, htc's sense, and motorola's blur, are choking the phones of being what they can really be. especially the galaxy s lineup with touchwiz 3.0. the phone is a powerhouse, but it's being held back by touchwiz. these phones really need to all run stock android, and let google release all the updates to the android phones. the manufacturers and carriers both are ruining the experience. android is opensource, and it is starting to show the negative side about that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones