• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Strange rooting problem

Hi all,

I just rooted my phone using this as my guideHow to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

However, the strange thing is that I can't use any terminal emulator to do root commands. I can't even do the super simple command "reboot". My question is why can't I do any push commands?

I have used su checker and everything checks out except for sudo. I have even flashed miui and harmonia to no avail. They work but I still can't use push commands.

I'm currently running:
stock "patched" rom
twrp 2.3.3.0 recovery (I've used 1.1.1 and all the others)
busybox 1.20.2
stock hboot (unlocked) s-on

if I forgot anything that you might need to know please ask.

Hi all,

However, the strange thing is that I can't use any terminal emulator to do root commands. I can't even do the super simple command "reboot". My question is why can't I do any push commands?

I have used su checker and everything checks out except for sudo. I have even flashed miui and harmonia to no avail. They work but I still can't use push commands.
Use "su" to get a root command prompt. The "sudo" command is not available in Android.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I know all this and I do use su to get to root.

My question is why does the su command not give me full permission?

I have cleared superuser of all apps and had them re-request su privlages. I choose allow. I enter su. The every command returns not permitted.

Oh and I just started getting an error message in recovery.

E: bad boot message
"time"

Upvote 0
I know all this and I do use su to get to root.

My question is why does the su command not give me full permission?

I have cleared superuser of all apps and had them re-request su privlages. I choose allow. I enter su. The every command returns not permitted.

Oh and I just started getting an error message in recovery.

E: bad boot message
"time"
Did you change your bootloader or recovery? If so, format dalvik+cache and reboot recovery.

All the commands supported by busybox work fine for me in the terminal emulator app once I issue the "su" command and approve the superuser access request.

You do have busybox installed, right?

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Did you change your bootloader or recovery? If so, format dalvik+cache and reboot recovery.

All the commands supported by busybox work fine for me in the terminal emulator app once I issue the "su" command and approve the superuser access request.

You do have busybox installed, right?

ramjet73

I haven't done anything to the bootloader other than the unlock through hdev. I started originally with twrp 1.1.1 and moved up to their touch recovery. Did the wipe. And busybox installed without issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones