1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Strange stuff with 4g in NYC?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crackers8199, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JLW24

JLW24 Member

I got a THIRD nexus yesterday and asked for a new sim card. Hoping that helps my signal issues. I am in my office now in midtown and getting 2 bars on 3G...its not picking up 4G at all. Yet from what people say, that seems to be normal in buildings.

Advertisement

2. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert

Normal with the Nexus, but probably not as normal with the Rezound.

3. sourmilk

sourmilk Member

I just exchanged mine for a new one and 4g connectivity is night and day. my first one would get good 4g outside but would almost always switch to 3g when i went indoors. also, it would take forever to even get data connection once i lost it, such as coming out of an elevator or toggling airplane mode. the new one connects pretty quickly. at first i thought it was due to weak 4g in nyc due to the tall buildings, but it was a defective phone. i realized this after comparing my phone to my gf's nexus, which always got a 4g signal. i tested it out in large buildings in midtown east/west, union square (at the cosi) and the financial district. i can confirm that you should be able to get around 2-3 bars of 4g at the cosi in union square if you want to test your phone out. if it doesn't work there then most likely you have a defective phone.

4. crackers8199

crackers8199 Android Enthusiast

I'm almost never in Manhattan to test that. I did have 2 bars and decent speeds inside my aunts house in the Bronx though...the only exception was the horrific signal inside white castle.

5. willstilson

willstilson Newbie

What did you tell the Verizon store to allow you to exchange?

6. crackers8199

crackers8199 Android Enthusiast

Has anyone seen the issue with upload speeds like I have?

7. sourmilk

sourmilk Member

I called verizon tech support about the issue. they had me go through several restarts and change network settings and finally a factory reset, but i could never get 4g. they made a note on my account and said i should go to a vzw corporate store and ask for an exchange. I also had the option of buying a new one over the phone and returning the defective one for a refund, but that would be a hassle.
    the store sales person gave me a hard time about exchanging since 4g was working in the store and they couldn't repro the issue. But since the tech made a note on my account the store finally agreed to exchange it.

8. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

is 4G out again in NYC?

9. arche3

arche3 Well-Known Member

I'm getting strong 4g now. Madison and 65th.

stevonyc34 likes this.
Tags: