1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Strange text message appears...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Imeileus, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Imeileus

Imeileus Lurker

Ive had my desire HD on orange for a few weeks now. I started to recieve strange texts from an unknown sender who appears as a strange symbol ive never seen on a keyboard before, followed by an @ sign. Sometimes its a triangle followed by @. Sometimes other combos.... THe context of the text is empty. It shows up as being stored on the sim.

These messages dont appear immediately, sometimes they will hide for a couple of days, during which the phone gets sluggish, then they will appear in the text inbox and I can delete it, but it is soon replaced by another...

My phone carrier (orange) were generally useless as usual, so I got them to replace the handset. As soon as I had powered on and updated my data from google I got the same text again! (Also, my new handset was an orange branded DHD, not clean like the first one - kind of annoyed about that I hate all the orange junkware)

Anyone had similar problems? Is this a bug in my google account? Any way to get rid of it? Is rooting the answer? I think Im going to hassle orange for a replacement SIM anyway as the message appears to be stored on there, but im sharing this experience on here to see if there are any others with similar problems. Any help much appreciated thanks

2. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast

I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same message appearing. I was concerned that I was receiving some sort of virus attack and, even when I deleted the text, another one would arrive after a while. But, looking into it, it seemed from the time-stamp that it was the old message reappearing, not a new one being received. In the end I found that it seems there was something on my SIM card that was being identified as this text - obviously not anything that made total sense as a message, but with enough structure to it to make it look like a text message.

I suggest you launch 'Messages' and then look at:
    Menu -> Settings -> Manage SIM card messages.

I think you'll find one message there - the rogue one that's plaguing you. I deleted it from there and have since had no problems and no apparent side effects from deleting it.

Hope this helps.

Pothers likes this.
  3. john_g

p.s. I think you'd get more people looking at your message if you'd put it where it would naturally seem to fit... "Support & Troubleshooting" - it hasn't got anything to do with rooting!

4. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member

I've had the same txt message, as has my wife. We're both on Orange.

I was a bit concerned to start with and just deleted it. Never had any issues because of it though.

5. Imeileus

Imeileus Lurker

Thanks very much john. That was easy! I should have looked a bit harder I guess before I posted, especially on the wrong forum section! Cheers

6. john_g

You're welcome - it took me days (if not weeks!) to find out what was happening!

Given that you're in discussion with Orange about this, could you maybe tell them that it seems to be a common problem and that maybe they need to check what they're putting on the SIM to cause this? A link to this thread might help. I don't know whether it's limited to the Desire HD or not, or whether it only happens if the SIM has been used in another phone - I used mine in my old Nokia N95 8GB for a while. Either way, it'd be good for them to sort it out because the people in my local Orange shop hadn't a clue about it.

7. WigglesGRN

WigglesGRN Member

had you signed up for the tmobile roaming as that was one of the activation msg's sent to the sim iirc

8. jammychap

jammychap Well-Known Member

I have had it too both on the dhd and the hero

9. springy

springy Android Enthusiast

the sigma @ sign is a bug in orange voice mail service. Orange sends a message in that format to handsets to prompt the handset that it has a voice mail.

I think orange are aware of the problem and trying to fix it. head over to XDA as they have it mention somewhere on there when I read about it a month ago.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews