1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Strange Volume Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by duddyroar, Nov 18, 2011.

1. duddyroar

duddyroar Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    I've had my Galaxy Nexus for a few hours and I'm mostly happy, but I've noticed a strange fault. The volume randomly drops, as if someone is holding down the volume rocker. This sometimes happens when my finger is brushing against the volume rocker, but it has also occurred when my finger was nowhere near it.

It usually happens when I unlock the phone. I'm not sure if there's a loose connection inside the phone which making it think that the volume down button is being pressed...it's a really odd issue and naturally makes using the phone very frustrating, as volume drop means I can't hear incoming calls, texts or emails.

Sometimes, if I hold my finger on the power button and simply place (not press) my finger on the volume rocker, the volume goes haywire, shooting up and down before totally dropping down to zero.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? It's happened more times than I can count today.

Advertisement

2. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I would 100% take that phone back! That is a bad fault for a PHONE to have.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Here's hoping it's a hardware issue specific to YOUR device and not a bug... er, "undocumented feature" of Nexus as a whole. Try getting a replacement phone and let us know if the problem persists.

4. Mephastophilis

None

Nov 18, 2011
    Hi,

Im experiencing the same issue.
    I end up fighting with it as it tries to lower my sound and i press increase

Im hoping its software related but i think its each time i apply pressure to the left side, jear the vol control.

5. ShiroEd

ShiroEd Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm getting the same thing!

I'm not sure whats causing it but I've started being very anxious putting my finger near the volume rocker when I'm using the phone.

Its exactly as the OP describes.
    Kinda glad its not just me but WTF!

6. jonnyguitar

jonnyguitar Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Same here! I think its only when lots of apps are open... hopefully they will release a fix.

7. duddyroar

duddyroar Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    I think this could be a software issue, as the volume sometimes drops even when i'm not even touching the volume rocker (in fact, it's just happened as i started typing this message.)

If its hardware related, then Samsung and Google have a real problem on their hands.

8. kao

kao Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2010
    mine hasn't done this at all in the couple of days i've had it

9. declanh

declanh Member
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    I'll be watching this thread with interest. It would put me off getting this phone if this issue is widespread

10. rayleee

rayleee Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    Same here. Although have to say it seems to have resolved itself now. I installed the Ringer Toggle Widget and since doing so have not noticed the problem.

11. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

Mine did it twice, hasn't done it since a battery pull. I would say its unconfirmed whether I pressed the volume rocker by accident or not though...

12. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Male
    Manchester, England
    Lots of people reporting this issue over on the xda forum!

13. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Android Expert
    None

tons of people are.. this is not a good sign

no flash, volume issue.. simple apps like tweetcster and facebook do not work either.. this is getting discouraging

14. kao

kao Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2010
    who says facebook doesn't work? works fine for me, no menu button to get into options yet but surely that's because facebook need to update the app... which will take ages :p

15. zafonic

zafonic Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    England
    For such a new high end device the issues.that some users are experiencing is totally unacceptable.

Hope these problems get sorted for you guys, as I know would get me down if I had of bought this handset.

16. TroyBoy30

TroyBoy30 Member
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
  17. declanh

declanh Member
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    I read the thread, pretty depressing reading. Its certainly appears to be a fairly widespread problem. Hopefully its a software issue rather than hardware. Its certainly put me off getting a GN till this is cleared up.

I had one in my hand today in a p4u store. Yes it was nice but I wasnt overcome with the "i must have this now" urge.
    I did not help that the demo i got still had the plastic screen protector on which did not give me good chance to judge the screen.
    Think I will wait to see if the vol issue is sorted and if the 32G version is avail.

18. ferraristu

ferraristu Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Same been happening with me all day

19. ferraristu

ferraristu Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Just read on the XDA links this is happening when signal drop to 2G - this makes sense. Had my phone since Friday - live in Liverpool, no signal issues. Have been in North Wales all afternoon out in the country - bad signal.

My phone has been faultless until today in Wales - then the volume started going crazy, adjusting down all the time - could watch it doing it all by itself. Got itself into a loop at one point - had to reboot

Back home in Liverpool for the past couple hours - no problems at all since I got home

Any advice welcome - should I request a new handset ? or wait for a bug fix ? If its a software issue I don't mind waiting, if its hardware I guess I need a new handset.

Cheers
    Stu

20. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    As I understand it no one is yet sure if it's a software or hardware issue; only a few people haven't been able to reproduce it by dropping to 2G.

If it's a hardware issue it's affecting most of the phones in the first batch released, but maybe later releases will be better; how long do you have before you loose the option of returning it?

21. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well if this issue only occurs in 2G data mode, I think most of us are in the clear. I, for one, live in an LTE area and - at worst - I'll drop to 3G.

Unless you plan on traveling somewhere with 2G data, it's a forgone conclusion to me that the volume issue will likely never appear.

:)

22. cereal killer

cereal killer Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Austin
    Therein lies the problem. On the US version it MAY happen from LTE to 3G.

In reality though the phone (LTE) is not even released yet so it's just something to monitor with the UK folks. When it drops here and it happens you will already be aware of what the potential problem is. If it doesn't happen to the US version then all the better (for you guys)

23. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    New York
    There is bound to be issues with a device like this....the upside to all this is... you will not have to wait for some carrier update for a fix. Google will be all over it...fear not.

24. iclickjohn

iclickjohn Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Can smart settings be ruled out? Can you turn it on or off and check that the volume is trying to set itself?

Tags: